+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to apply study permit within Canada as a visitor TRV status?

janeleith

Mar 3, 2016
Hello,

My friend came to Canada in May and his TRV visitor status expires in Nov. for some issues, he cannot go back to his home country. Now he has an offer from a university ( ESL language courses + Master degree program as a package). In this case, is he qualified to apply the study permit within Canada? We tried several times that he is not eligible to apply online. But if we choose his residency in his home county, then he is eligible to apply online. My question is that can he apply within Canada by paper? If he could only apply online, he is now in Canada, regarding the “ current residency” section, could he choose his home country? If yes, the study permit will approved at his home country? He should send his passport back to his home county? Could he have passport “study” sticker in Canada ONTARIO maybe?

Thank you for reading my friend’s concerns.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

My friend came to Canada in May and his TRV visitor status expires in Nov. for some issues, he cannot go back to his home country. Now he has an offer from a university ( ESL language courses + Master degree program as a package). In this case, is he qualified to apply the study permit within Canada? We tried several times that he is not eligible to apply online. But if we choose his residency in his home county, then he is eligible to apply online. My question is that can he apply within Canada by paper? If he could only apply online, he is now in Canada, regarding the “ current residency” section, could he choose his home country? If yes, the study permit will approved at his home country? He should send his passport back to his home county? Could he have passport “study” sticker in Canada ONTARIO maybe?

Thank you for reading my friend’s concerns.
Since he is here on a TRV, the application cannot be processed within Canada. It either has to be processed through the visa office responsible for his home country or through a visa office in the US.

He is applying extremely late if he plans to start his studies in September. There's a very good chance processing won't be done in time and he will have to defer his studies.

Note that the chances of approval are reduced if someone applies while on a TRV in Canada since it's difficult to prove ties to the home country. Also, taking an ESL language course rather than being admitted directly to the Masters weakens the application further.

Best option (highest chances of approval) is for him to return home and be admitted directly into the Masters program - then to apply for the study permit.

janeleith

Mar 3, 2016
Since he is here on a TRV, the application cannot be processed within Canada. It either has to be processed through the visa office responsible for his home country or through a visa office in the US.

He is applying extremely late if he plans to start his studies in September. There's a very good chance processing won't be done in time and he will have to defer his studies.

Note that the chances of approval are reduced if someone applies while on a TRV in Canada since it's difficult to prove ties to the home country. Also, taking an ESL language course rather than being admitted directly to the Masters weakens the application further.

Best option (highest chances of approval) is for him to return home and be admitted directly into the Masters program - then to apply for the study permit.
Thank you for your reply. Could he apply online and when request a passport, just DHL his passport back to his home country. He cannot go back to his country physically.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I believe it depends on the country of the passport he holds. Some countries do not allow their passports to be mailed / couriered.

If he cannot return to his home country, how does he plan to demonstrate strong ties? This is one of the most common refusal reasons.

Reactions: janeleith

janeleith

Mar 3, 2016
I believe it depends on the country of the passport he holds. Some countries do not allow their passports to be mailed / couriered.

If he cannot return to his home country, how does he plan to demonstrate strong ties? This is one of the most common refusal reasons.
He tried to apply the refugee at the border when he flew to Canada. The CBSA refused it and said visitor! ( he has eTA). He is from Mexico. He cannot go back to the home country.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He tried to apply the refugee at the border when he flew to Canada. The CBSA refused it and said visitor! ( he has eTA). He is from Mexico. He cannot go back to the home country.
So again, how is he planning on demonstrating ties to his home country in his application? If he's not able to do this - chances of refusal are quite high.

Not sure what being from Mexico has to do with not being able to return to his home country.

janeleith

Mar 3, 2016
So again, how is he planning on demonstrating ties to his home country in his application? If he's not able to do this - chances of refusal are quite high.

Not sure what being from Mexico has to do with not being able to return to his home country.
He almost been killed by gangsters. If he goes back, it is likely that they will find him again.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He almost been killed by gangsters. If he goes back, it is likely that they will find him again.
He's from a designated country of origin. So it makes sense the refugee claim wasn't accepted - chances of success were very low.

I'll say it one final time. For the study permit to have a high chance of approval, he needs to demonstrate strong ties to his home country and prove he has no plans on remaining in Canada long term. How he proves this and if he does this in the study permit application is entirely up to him.

Reactions: janeleith

janeleith

Mar 3, 2016
He's from a designated country of origin. So it makes sense the refugee claim wasn't accepted - chances of success were very low.

I'll say it one final time. For the study permit to have a high chance of approval, he needs to demonstrate strong ties to his home country and prove he has no plans on remaining in Canada long term. How he proves this and if he does this in the study permit application is entirely up to him.
Thank you so much for your replies and suggestions. One more question, he has a proposed employer in Canada applied a positive LMIA for him. But I am afraid the work permit with a positive LMIA also need to apply in his home country? He cannot apply work permit with a positive LMIA within Canada by paper right? ( Alberta)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The fact that he has applied for LMIA will make it harder for him to get a study permit. Mexico is a large country could he not relocate to another area even if it is temporary?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much for your replies and suggestions. One more question, he has a proposed employer in Canada applied a positive LMIA for him. But I am afraid the work permit with a positive LMIA also need to apply in his home country? He cannot apply work permit with a positive LMIA within Canada by paper right? ( Alberta)
Same as the study permit. Can't apply within Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your reply. Could he stay in Canada but apply online using the OUT OF CANADA application form? He could mail his passport back to Mexico for processing.
Yes, he can travel that. However, chances of approval when already in Canada are lower.

janeleith

Mar 3, 2016
Yes, he can travel that. However, chances of approval when already in Canada are lower.
Thank you again. When he applies online, there is a question- what is your current residence address. So if he currently is in canada, could he write Mexico home address?