+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How To Apply for PR in Canada?

Vchey8

Oct 21, 2017
I'm currently a US citizen. I don't plan to begin any move or anything for 4 more years but I want to begin learning what I need to do now.
I'll be 20-22 when I do begin my move, and I want to obtain permanent residency before I get a job or anything there. I've been reading up online and I'm honestly so confused. Everything talks about having to be a skilled worker or entrepreneur. So, below I'm going to describe how my life will be in order for you to help me figure out what I need to do.
By the time I begin my move I will have (hopefully, if my 1st plan works out,) at least 3 years experience working in a bakery and I would like to continue working in a bakery in Canada if I'm able to. I may even want to get an associates degree in baking and pastry arts.
Anyways, I'd be wanting to get PR and move there with 2 of my friends, both which will have 5+ years of restaurant/retail experience.
What will we need to do to obtain PR status in Canada? I'm sorry for the long question I just need to figure this out.
Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Canada has a number of immigration programs. You'll have to read through the requirements of each to find out what it takes to qualify. You can find detailed information here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

I would recommend you start by researching the Express Entry immigration program. As with many of Canada's immigration programs, it's points based - so things like your age, years of experience and level of education influence your chances of being selected.

Note that immigration rules do change from time to time. So what it takes to immigrate now many not be the same as what it takes four years from now.

Vchey8

Oct 21, 2017
Canada has a number of immigration programs. You'll have to read through the requirements of each to find out what it takes to qualify. You can find detailed information here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

I would recommend you start by researching the Express Entry immigration program. As with many of Canada's immigration programs, it's points based - so things like your age, years of experience and level of education influence your chances of being selected.

Note that immigration rules do change from time to time. So what it takes to immigrate now many not be the same as what it takes four years from now.
But is there any way to apply without it being based on your job experience? I just feel like when you're put in a pool of people based on things like college or work experience, the people like doctirs and dentists are going to be picked before you, like just because I'm a bakery worker I may not get the same chance at becoming a PR as a higher skilled worker. Maybe that's not how it works and if it isn't can you explain how it does? Because that's what I got from reading about Express Entry.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
But is there any way to apply without it being based on your job experience? I just feel like when you're put in a pool of people based on things like college or work experience, the people like doctirs and dentists are going to be picked before you, like just because I'm a bakery worker I may not get the same chance at becoming a PR as a higher skilled worker. Maybe that's not how it works and if it isn't can you explain how it does? Because that's what I got from reading about Express Entry.
That's basically the whole point of Canadian Federal economic immigration streams. They want young, educated people with skilled work experience. You can often find a way in if you have two of those, and have a very good shot with all three.

Alternatively, there are Provincial nomination schemes, which sometimes look for lower skilled sets, but a connection/intention to make one with the area, and there's family reunification routes, eg spousal sponsorship, parental sponsorship, etc.

Vchey8

Oct 21, 2017
That's basically the whole point of Canadian Federal economic immigration streams. They want young, educated people with skilled work experience. You can often find a way in if you have two of those, and have a very good shot with all three.

Alternatively, there are Provincial nomination schemes, which sometimes look for lower skilled sets, but a connection/intention to make one with the area, and there's family reunification routes, eg spousal sponsorship, parental sponsorship, etc.
Right, that all makes sense I guess and I understand why they'd want to take skilled workers first. But can you apply through Express Entry as someone who isn't really in an "important" line of work like educator, doctor, etc.? I get you won't have like as much of a chance because you aren't in a certain line of work but is it still possible to go through and make it to PR status even without being in those certain lines of work?
Also, what about coming in as a student? Can you explain how that works? Could I apply by wanting to come in and get an associates degree in baking and pastry arts in Canada? Again, sorry for all the questions I'm just so confused by everything the sites tell me.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Right, that all makes sense I guess and I understand why they'd want to take skilled workers first. But can you apply through Express Entry as someone who isn't really in an "important" line of work like educator, doctor, etc.? I get you won't have like as much of a chance because you aren't in a certain line of work but is it still possible to go through and make it to PR status even without being in those certain lines of work?
Also, what about coming in as a student? Can you explain how that works? Could I apply by wanting to come in and get an associates degree in baking and pastry arts in Canada? Again, sorry for all the questions I'm just so confused by everything the sites tell me.
You really need to spend more time researching if you are serious about immigrating to Canada. Most of the questions you're asking are very basic. A quick read of the web site isn't enough. You need to dedicate weeks to researching to really understand your options.

As of now, all NOC A, B and 0 skill occupations are treated equally for Express Entry. However in the past, there have been specific occupations lists and only specific occupations qualified. It's impossible for any of us to say what it will be four years from now. You might qualify with your current profession - or you might not.

Canada doesn't have associate degrees. We do have diplomas. If you want to come to Canada to study, you'll need to get a study permit. You'll be an international student and will have to pay international student fees. To be approved for the study permit, you'll need to show that you have a bank balance of at least $25K to pay for your first year tuition and living expenses. Studying in Canada by no means guarantees you can then become a PR.

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You really need to spend more time researching if you are serious about immigrating to Canada. Most of the questions you're asking are very basic. A quick read of the web site isn't enough. You need to dedicate weeks to researching to really understand your options.

As of now, all NOC A, B and 0 skill occupations are treated equally for Express Entry. However in the past, there have been specific occupations lists and only specific occupations qualified. It's impossible for any of us to say what it will be four years from now. You might qualify with your current profession - or you might not.

Canada doesn't have associate degrees. We do have diplomas. If you want to come to Canada to study, you'll need to get a study permit. You'll be an international student and will have to pay international student fees. To be approved for the study permit, you'll need to show that you have a bank balance of at least $25K to pay for your first year tuition and living expenses. Studying in Canada by no means guarantees you can then become a PR.
This is good advice. Coming to Canada first as a student can have advantages because you get extra points for having a Canadian degree/diploma. International tuition might offset that advantage, but its worth considering. You don’t necessarily need $25k in the bank, I showed the financial support from a combination of student loans and banks accounts. You need at least an 8-month program, and after you graduate you can apply for a post graduation work permit that is good for the length of your program, from 8-months to 3 years. The benefit of this option is that you can get many more points for coming to Canada as a student, then worker. Canadian work experience will also gives you extra points. Additionally, you could apply for PNP at this point, which is more expensive, but the usual route for trade skilled folks who cannot get through the other economic streams.

Another alternative is to find a bakery in the city you want to settle, build a good relationship with the owner, and get them to “sponsor” you with a LMIA, which will give you 200 points in express entry.