+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to apply for a post graduate work permit extension without LMIA

KryssM

Aug 10, 2017
Hello,
I'm in a situation. I recently renewed my passport so that I could apply for an extension to my post grad work permit. I was recently offered a full time position at the company I work and I want to apply for express entry. I was advised to fist apply for an extension to my permit because I only got it for 2 years since thats when my passport expires (sept 25 2018).

No one mentioned in all the discussions and forums that I would need an LMIA from my employer which takes a very long time to process. My permit expires in Sept but I couldnt apply for express entry before that because the end of May was 1 year of full time work.

I did the questionnaire on CIC and it told me I dont qualify for a work permit application because it asks if I have a LMIA or if my employer has applied for one and I select no.

I need some advice PLEASE. I am really freaking out here.

Thanks!

Ellianna

Star Member
Feb 9, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Hello,
I'm in a situation. I recently renewed my passport so that I could apply for an extension to my post grad work permit. I was recently offered a full time position at the company I work and I want to apply for express entry. I was advised to fist apply for an extension to my permit because I only got it for 2 years since thats when my passport expires (sept 25 2018).

No one mentioned in all the discussions and forums that I would need an LMIA from my employer which takes a very long time to process. My permit expires in Sept but I couldnt apply for express entry before that because the end of May was 1 year of full time work.

I did the questionnaire on CIC and it told me I dont qualify for a work permit application because it asks if I have a LMIA or if my employer has applied for one and I select no.

I need some advice PLEASE. I am really freaking out here.

Thanks!
You can apply to Express entry without LMIA unless you have all the requirements under one of the Express Entry streams. Please check all the requirements first and if you will meet them then you can apply before your work permit expires.Then, hopefully, you will get an invitation to apply to PR before the expiry of your work permit.