+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to apply for a BOWP (Bridging Open Work Permit) for PR applicants?

Cell

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi everyone!
I am currently working in Canada under an LMIA exempt work permit which allows me to work for my employer only. My work permit expires in 5 months.

Just a few days ago I applied for PR through the Express Entry under the CEC program, and I immediately got my Acknowledgement of Receipt to confirm I properly applied, and it said I can apply for a bridging open work permit once my work permit will be expiring in 4 months or less.

On my CIC personal area, I am going through all the steps to apply for a work permit just to see if I am able to understand how to get to the BOWP application page and to start seeing what the required documents would be (once I am eligible, I want to apply immediately as I may need to change job asap). I went through all the eligibility questions, and when it asked me when my work permit is about to expire, I chose a date that is less than 4 months from today (of course, I will repeat all the steps with the right expiry date once I am ready to apply).

After the questionnaire, the options I get for a work permit application are:

- Work Permit (in Canada): You may be eligible to extend your stay in Canada to work with a work permit.
- Open Work Permit: You may be eligible to extend your stay in Canada to work with a work permit.

There is no explicit option mentioning a Bridging Open Work Permit, so I guess I should just choose Open Work Permit. How can I get to understand I got to the right application page? Should I be able to understand it from the documents it asks me to upload? I wouldn't like to find out only after I send out the application that the application page was the wrong one.

Thanks!

Ram_29

Star Member
Aug 27, 2014
Ottawa , Ontario,Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
22-08-2018
AOR Received.
27-081989
Med's Done....
20-09-2018
Hi everyone!
I am currently working in Canada under an LMIA exempt work permit which allows me to work for my employer only. My work permit expires in 5 months.

Just a few days ago I applied for PR through the Express Entry under the CEC program, and I immediately got my Acknowledgement of Receipt to confirm I properly applied, and it said I can apply for a bridging open work permit once my work permit will be expiring in 4 months or less.

On my CIC personal area, I am going through all the steps to apply for a work permit just to see if I am able to understand how to get to the BOWP application page and to start seeing what the required documents would be (once I am eligible, I want to apply immediately as I may need to change job asap). I went through all the eligibility questions, and when it asked me when my work permit is about to expire, I chose a date that is less than 4 months from today (of course, I will repeat all the steps with the right expiry date once I am ready to apply).

After the questionnaire, the options I get for a work permit application are:

- Work Permit (in Canada): You may be eligible to extend your stay in Canada to work with a work permit.
- Open Work Permit: You may be eligible to extend your stay in Canada to work with a work permit.

There is no explicit option mentioning a Bridging Open Work Permit, so I guess I should just choose Open Work Permit. How can I get to understand I got to the right application page? Should I be able to understand it from the documents it asks me to upload? I wouldn't like to find out only after I send out the application that the application page was the wrong one.

Thanks!
If you applied for BOWP please share your exp . I am also dont see any option for BOWP

LucileneS

Sep 16, 2019
Did you guys figure out? I'm in the same situation, if I select Open Work Permit they don't ask for much stuff. I'm afraid I will give too much documents and they didn't requested, or not send them and be denied because it was missing something. So confusing!