+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to answers "Intended work in Canada"

eskander

Feb 1, 2021
Hello everyone,

Seeking your advice to help me complete the "Intended work in Canada" section questions in my Express Entry profile.

Here's my situation:
  • I am currently in Canada.
  • I hold an Open Work permit as the spouse of an international student.
  • I have been employed full-time with a Canadian company for the past 8 months, based on a job offer here in canda .
Could you please guide me on how to respond to the following Express Entry questions?

#1# Do you have a job offer in Canada?
  • Yes
  • No
#2# Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the job offer in Canada?
  • Yes
  • No
#3# Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the current work permit?
  • Yes
  • No
  • No - My work permit is exempt from an LMIA due to an international agreement
  • No - My work permit is exempt from an LMIA due to a Federal-Provincial agreement
  • No - My work permit is exempt from an LMIA for other reasons and is employer-specific
Your insights are greatly appreciated.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

Seeking your advice to help me complete the "Intended work in Canada" section questions in my Express Entry profile.

Here's my situation:
  • I am currently in Canada.
  • I hold an Open Work permit as the spouse of an international student.
  • I have been employed full-time with a Canadian company for the past 8 months, based on a job offer here in canda .
Could you please guide me on how to respond to the following Express Entry questions?

#1# Do you have a job offer in Canada?
  • Yes
  • No
#2# Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the job offer in Canada?
  • Yes
  • No
#3# Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the current work permit?
  • Yes
  • No
  • No - My work permit is exempt from an LMIA due to an international agreement
  • No - My work permit is exempt from an LMIA due to a Federal-Provincial agreement
  • No - My work permit is exempt from an LMIA for other reasons and is employer-specific
Your insights are greatly appreciated.
1. No
2. No
3. No

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Thanks @Naturgrl .

It can be disheartening to realize that working full-time in Canada on open work permit doesn't necessarily have a direct impact on your EE application.
As Naturgrl said, it does. Your spouse gets more points for studying in Canada and completing 1 year work exp. It adds roughly 50 points to their CRS.

Most people on SOWP of International students don't hold the same merit as LMIA approved job offers or an offer of employment. Someone on LMIA or with an offer of employment has been carefully vetted, is likely to be important to Canadian interests and has crossed a skill-gap that most coming through student routes likely haven't.