+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to answer - Did you file taxes for this year (for year 2023) when submitting application in January 2024

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Is 3 years taxes mandatory
It's 3 years of complying with the tax filing requirements that is mandatory, not 3 years of filing taxes. If someone didn't make any income and didn't file tax for a given year, and put "no" to both required and filed in the corresponding part of the application, that should be fine too.
It's just that the easiest way to make sure you're compliant with this requirement is to actually file tax...

Reactions: PR->Citizen->OCI

PR->Citizen->OCI

Jan 2, 2024
It's never too late to file tax for 2019 and 2020.
Thank you, but I don't need to file taxes If I have no income and capital gains for the year. Also, I found an interesting post from other threads, so leaving it here

I am copying & pasting a response from another group which I think perfectly answers this question:>>>>>>

A lot of people think that the following statement is true:
If you earned income in a year, you must file a tax return.
This is simply and outright wrong. Here is the official list:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/you-have-file-a-return.html

If you don't owe any taxes, you don't have to file, even if you worked. If you only have a classic T4 job, the employer will take your tax away at the source.

Of course, it is always advisable to file a tax return because most people get a refund. But there is nothing wrong with not filing if you are a standard T4 employee.

A lot of people also think that this is true:
You must have filed three tax returns to be able to apply for citizenship.
This is, again, incorrect. You only need to comply with the tax filing requirements for three years. The form asks you for two things:

Were you required to file? Did you file?
If your answer is No-No, it counts as one of those three years.
If your answer is No-Yes, it counts as one of those three years.
If your answer is Yes-Yes, it counts as one of those three years.
Only if your answer is Yes-No does it not count as one of those three years.
Source: Section 5 (1) (c) (iii) of the Citizenship Act.

Also, a lot of people think that this is true:
It is January 2019. So if you haven't filed for 2018, you can't apply for citizenship until you filed taxes if you were required to file.
This is, again, incorrect. See here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/service-annoucement-tax-filing-requirements-for-early-2019-applicants.608739/

saifulla

Sep 5, 2019
My wife does not work . Since she is not working Is she required to file taxes for 3 years to be eligible for citizenship?

thandong19

Oct 31, 2018
I have filled out my tax for 2023 online but I have not received the Notice of assessment (NOA) yet.
Do you think I need to wait for NOA to answer "YES" for question: "Did you file taxes for this year ?"

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
I have filled out my tax for 2023 online but I have not received the Notice of assessment (NOA) yet.
Do you think I need to wait for NOA to answer "YES" for question: "Did you file taxes for this year ?"
i did mine online and receieved an ENOA (EXPRESS NOTICE OF ASSESSMENT ) the same day on my cra account so i selected yes.