+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to absolutely nail the interview in the safest way?

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
To those of you who have already taken the test. Can you give me a rough idea of how long it takes for the written test and interview? I have my test in a couple of weeks at 9am so just wondering how much time I need to take off work for that day?
They give you half an hour to write the exam (it's multiple choice/true or false, so it most likely will not take you half an hour), then you sit and wait for them to call your name for the interview. I was there from around 1230 until 230pm, so a couple of hours. There's really no way of telling, so maybe book the morning off and say you might come in earlier?

Reactions: Eìre 18

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
Does anyone know the approximate topics discussed and requirements during the interview? I also understand the interview takes place almost in the end of the whole process?
The test/interview does not necessarily take place "almost at the end of the whole process", some people are still undergoing background checks after their test, and/or it might take a while to have the Oath scheduled... it really is case by case!

Please see my previous answer, quoted below, regarding the interview:

The interview takes place so that they can a) check all of the original documents of which you sent copies and b) for them to assess your spoken English proficiency. Given that, the interviewer will ASK YOU for the documents they need/want to see, you will not be handing them 500 documents to prove you're prepared.
My interviewer did not even check my diplomas or my change of name certificate originals. I did not hand them to her, as she did not ask. They will also make small talk about the weather/random stuff in your file (mine asked me where I worked, what I did, and if I had family in Canada, and what their status was, on top of standard stuff, like asking if I have had issues with police or immigration in Canada or anywhere else), and this is to assess your spoken language proficiency.
Take originals of everything you sent copies of, and, if you feel the need to, certified translations of your stamps. Anything else is most likely overkill, but, again, it's your choice :)

Reactions: snowflayc

Nawal123

Jan 2, 2019
The interview takes place so that they can a) check all of the original documents of which you sent copies and b) for them to assess your spoken English proficiency. Given that, the interviewer will ASK YOU for the documents they need/want to see, you will not be handing them 500 documents to prove you're prepared.
My interviewer did not even check my diplomas or my change of name certificate originals. I did not hand them to her, as she did not ask. They will also make small talk about the weather/random stuff in your file (mine asked me where I worked, what I did, and if I had family in Canada, and what their status was, on top of standard stuff, like asking if I have had issues with police or immigration in Canada or anywhere else), and this is to assess your spoken language proficiency.
Take originals of everything you sent copies of, and, if you feel the need to, certified translations of your stamps. Anything else is most likely overkill, but, again, it's your choice :)
Hi, I was wondering if you got your first or last name changed, because my application is delayed because of my name change, it’s been a year and no test invite yet
Thanks

canvan14

May 8, 2014
As others mentioned, you must bring what is required on the test/interview email/letter.
Feel free to bring as many documents as you wish if that makes you feel less stressful.
As per many members' experiences, these interviews are usually quite short. The officer only check your passport stamps against the date calculator, verify ID, and ask routine questions (current jobs, travel history, marriage status etc.) to assess your english proficiency.
Only answer what they ask, don't volunteer information as that could potentially lead to more questions.
Good luck!

Reactions: SRIS

Eìre 18

Apr 4, 2018
They give you half an hour to write the exam (it's multiple choice/true or false, so it most likely will not take you half an hour), then you sit and wait for them to call your name for the interview. I was there from around 1230 until 230pm, so a couple of hours. There's really no way of telling, so maybe book the morning off and say you might come in earlier?
Thanks for your help.

pamada

Jan 29, 2019
To those of you who have already taken the test. Can you give me a rough idea of how long it takes for the written test and interview? I have my test in a couple of weeks at 9am so just wondering how much time I need to take off work for that day?
My test was at 11am in Calgary. I had booked the day off as I was travelling in from out of town and both test/interview and oath ceremony were scheduled all on the same day. I arrived early (about 10am) but there were quite a few people waiting even at this time. You are given 30 minutes to answer the 20 questions. I had the questions done in 10 minutes and just went outside to wait in line and be called for the interview. I'd say I waited about 5 minutes and then my name was called for the interview and was told that I passed. The interview lasted about 5 minutes. I was told to come back to the oath ceremony that afternoon.

Eìre 18

Apr 4, 2018
My test was at 11am in Calgary. I had booked the day off as I was travelling in from out of town and both test/interview and oath ceremony were scheduled all on the same day. I arrived early (about 10am) but there were quite a few people waiting even at this time. You are given 30 minutes to answer the 20 questions. I had the questions done in 10 minutes and just went outside to wait in line and be called for the interview. I'd say I waited about 5 minutes and then my name was called for the interview and was told that I passed. The interview lasted about 5 minutes. I was told to come back to the oath ceremony that afternoon.
Thanks for the info. I think taking a half day from work will be enough. Appreciate the reply.

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
Anyone with interview experience at Ottawa CIC office? I would appreciate if you could share your experience regarding location, parking, staff, etc, and any do/dont as per your opinion/experience.