+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to absolutely nail the interview in the safest way?

fzy951113

Dec 6, 2017
Hi, I just got my test invite, which is on Feb 12th at STC.

I want to make sure that I can do everything I can to nail the interview (not the exam). I would like to know what are the extra documents that might be able to help, besides the ones listed officially?

Such as:
translation for visa stamps, entry/exit stamps, current/expired passports
All air tickets for the past 5 years, travel itinerary outside Canada, hotel booking receipt
Apartment rental receipt to prove my residence history, maybe?

What else do I need to secure this interview?

Thanks!

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015

I want to make sure that I can do everything I can to nail the interview (not the exam). I would like to know what are the extra documents that might be able to help, besides the ones listed officially?

Such as:
All air tickets for the past 5 years, travel itinerary outside Canada, hotel booking receipt

Thanks!
Take with you what is asked of you, simple. It is not really an interview..they will check your papers, ask you questions about your work, what you do, your family (if you have one) the weather.
Took my 5 minutes and that was it..

Vesimsyd

Star Member
Nov 24, 2018

Such as:

Thanks!
Hmmm, looks like u have got more than needed , just don't try hard be easy and hope interview will be smooth:)

fzy951113

Dec 6, 2017
Take with you what is asked of you, simple. It is not really an interview..they will check your papers, ask you questions about your work, what you do, your family (if you have one) the weather.
Took my 5 minutes and that was it..
Yeah I know it's not gonna be long but I just want to make the interviewer happy with my best effort. I mean there is chance of getting RQ until Oath is taken so I just want to play this game very very safely.

fzy951113

Dec 6, 2017
Hmmm, looks like u have got more than needed , just don't try hard be easy and hope interview will be smooth:)
lol yeah, but I see people getting RQ'ed after the interview and I want to prevent that from happening by presenting every single detail of my past 5 years.

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
The interview takes place so that they can a) check all of the original documents of which you sent copies and b) for them to assess your spoken English proficiency. Given that, the interviewer will ASK YOU for the documents they need/want to see, you will not be handing them 500 documents to prove you're prepared.
My interviewer did not even check my diplomas or my change of name certificate originals. I did not hand them to her, as she did not ask. They will also make small talk about the weather/random stuff in your file (mine asked me where I worked, what I did, and if I had family in Canada, and what their status was, on top of standard stuff, like asking if I have had issues with police or immigration in Canada or anywhere else), and this is to assess your spoken language proficiency.
Take originals of everything you sent copies of, and, if you feel the need to, certified translations of your stamps. Anything else is most likely overkill, but, again, it's your choice :)

fzy951113

Dec 6, 2017
The interview takes place so that they can a) check all of the original documents of which you sent copies and b) for them to assess your spoken English proficiency. Given that, the interviewer will ASK YOU for the documents they need/want to see, you will not be handing them 500 documents to prove you're prepared.
My interviewer did not even check my diplomas or my change of name certificate originals. I did not hand them to her, as she did not ask. They will also make small talk about the weather/random stuff in your file (mine asked me where I worked, what I did, and if I had family in Canada, and what their status was, on top of standard stuff, like asking if I have had issues with police or immigration in Canada or anywhere else), and this is to assess your spoken language proficiency.
Take originals of everything you sent copies of, and, if you feel the need to, certified translations of your stamps. Anything else is most likely overkill, but, again, it's your choice :)
Well most interviewers are nice and you may think it's an over kill and I get it. Thanks for the advice though, I will probably still be preparing hundreds of pages of documents just in case. Maybe it's a 5 minute interview for you, or it could a 20 mins interview for me, we never know :)

Reactions: snowflayc

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
I agree with the others. In my interview all she asked was to sign the document (I missed a question). Then she turned to my wife and asked her about her travel history (as she has traveled to a dozen countries for work) and the joked about how the traveling stopped after we landed in Canada.
That was it. I was not asked to show the original IELTS certificate or any educational documents. Although I went with all originals (always do) and with detailed travel history document I prepared with passport page numbers (where the exit entry seals are) and also with the i94 travel history and missing stamps on my passport (sometimes they stamp on the i94 and not the passport). I got DM the very next day and waiting for Oath.
I think, I think it went okay and the oath is all I got to wait.

fzy951113

Dec 6, 2017
I agree with the others. In my interview all she asked was to sign the document (I missed a question). Then she turned to my wife and asked her about her travel history (as she has traveled to a dozen countries for work) and the joked about how the traveling stopped after we landed in Canada.
That was it. I was not asked to show the original IELTS certificate or any educational documents. Although I went with all originals (always do) and with detailed travel history document I prepared with passport page numbers (where the exit entry seals are) and also with the i94 travel history and missing stamps on my passport (sometimes they stamp on the i94 and not the passport). I got DM the very next day and waiting for Oath.
I think, I think it went okay and the oath is all I got to wait.
You are greatly prepared at least, with all the travel history and missing entry stamps! The listed documents required by CIC is not enough/clear, at least it did not mention translation of visa/passports and I know someone in forum was asked to present that during the interview. I will probably just prepare the same sets of document as you do. Thanks! and hope you get Oath soon!

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
You are greatly prepared at least, with all the travel history and missing entry stamps! The listed documents required by CIC is not enough/clear, at least it did not mention translation of visa/passports and I know someone in forum was asked to present that during the interview. I will probably just prepare the same sets of document as you do. Thanks! and hope you get Oath soon!
Yes someone in the forum (I think Qurax) posted about having a detailed travel history always helps. With Entry Date, Exit date, Destination, Reason for travel, Passport page number etc. I had this since I moved to Canada as a friend of mine told me it is best to keep track of all your US trips as well (as it always doesn't appear on the i94 website).

fzy951113

Dec 6, 2017
Yes someone in the forum (I think Qurax) posted about having a detailed travel history always helps. With Entry Date, Exit date, Destination, Reason for travel, Passport page number etc. I had this since I moved to Canada as a friend of mine told me it is best to keep track of all your US trips as well (as it always doesn't appear on the i94 website).
Yeah right and this kinds of documents aren't listed in the test invite letter nor in the original application package, which bothers me. Again thanks, I will get started preparing my travel history list!

Vesimsyd

Star Member
Nov 24, 2018
Well most interviewers are nice and you may think it's an over kill and I get it. Thanks for the advice though, I will probably still be preparing hundreds of pages of documents just in case. Maybe it's a 5 minute interview for you, or it could a 20 mins interview for me, we never know :)
Law of attraction.. you will be good ... during my interview the lady next to me was having hard time explaining things and it got into a heated argument lasted for 15-20 mins in the end as long did she provided what officer wanted it was good ...best of luck

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
I was well prepared too when I went for my interview. I even brought the copies of my application forms and as well as my son's papers. I even printed my Notice of assessments (the 5 year period), my marriage certificate (I changed my surname thru marriage), my transcripts and diplomas I have submitted., my COPR. I even prepared a summary of my trips (exit/entry), but officer did not check it.

The officer just asked for my passports, PR card, driver's license and Health card. The officer just asked me about my job (I only have 1 job since 2009.), about my 18 year old son and my husband. About 5 minute interview. That's it.

Reactions: snowflayc

Eìre 18

Apr 4, 2018
To those of you who have already taken the test. Can you give me a rough idea of how long it takes for the written test and interview? I have my test in a couple of weeks at 9am so just wondering how much time I need to take off work for that day?

snowflayc

Star Member
Feb 23, 2017
Does anyone know the approximate topics discussed and requirements during the interview? I also understand the interview takes place almost in the end of the whole process?