+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How soon parents can get OHIP coverage after landing

Ottawan83

Aug 31, 2019
According to Ontario's website:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card
"There is no longer a waiting period for OHIP coverage. If you are eligible, you will have immediate health insurance coverage."

However, to qualify, "be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province"

So does that mean I can apply for OHIP for my parents only after they their 153th day in Ontario? This confuses me as they mention there is no waiting period.

If I need to wait until their 153th day in Ontario, that means i need to purchase private health insurance? Does anyone have any recommendations for health insurance in Ontario?

I appreciate your input.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
According to Ontario's website:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card
"There is no longer a waiting period for OHIP coverage. If you are eligible, you will have immediate health insurance coverage."

However, to qualify, "be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province"

So does that mean I can apply for OHIP for my parents only after they their 153th day in Ontario?
It means that if they leave or intend to leave/not remain in Ontario for 153 of the first 183 days in Canada, they're not eligible. (And if they should not fulfill that requirement, amounts paid can be clawed back from them).

So in short:
-apply when they arrive;
-don't leave.

Ottawan83

Aug 31, 2019
Excellent. I have follow-up questions:

- How soon they get coverage? Once they apply or after they receive OHIP card? (Asking to see if i need to get them health insurance; I don't want them to spend a day here without emergency insurance at least)
- How to prove Ontario residency as soon as they arrive? (They won't have any mail with their name at that time, maybe there is a smarter way to do it?)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Excellent. I have follow-up questions:

- How soon they get coverage? Once they apply or after they receive OHIP card? (Asking to see if i need to get them health insurance; I don't want them to spend a day here without emergency insurance at least)
- How to prove Ontario residency as soon as they arrive? (They won't have any mail with their name at that time, maybe there is a smarter way to do it?)
-As soon as they apply, really. You're given a temporary card (or piece of paper that acts as such, don't remember) on the spot. (They actually will be covered from arrival but might have to claim back money if they pay anything out of pocket - which wouldn't likely be an issue at an emergency dept).
-Check the requirements. Easiest is some proof of residential lease (lease, insurance, a few other things are accepted).

Reactions: Ottawan83

Ottawan83

Aug 31, 2019
-As soon as they apply, really. You're given a temporary card (or piece of paper that acts as such, don't remember) on the spot. (They actually will be covered from arrival but might have to claim back money if they pay anything out of pocket - which wouldn't likely be an issue at an emergency dept).
-Check the requirements. Easiest is some proof of residential lease (lease, insurance, a few other things are accepted).
Thanks alot

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Why not let them apply fir “ontario photo card” which is issued by ontario(service ontario)
Take your passports/copr and aoply there, u get em in a couple of weeks and its their id with address on it
Ontario photo card can be used to do registration fir health etc banking etc

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Why not let them apply fir “ontario photo card” which is issued by ontario(service ontario)
Take your passports/copr and aoply there, u get em in a couple of weeks and its their id with address on it
To get Ontario photo card, essentially same documentary requirements to prove address as for the Ohip card.

Ottawan83

Aug 31, 2019
[
It is a great idea and i will do it. I wonder though if there is a proof of address i can get faster than 2 weeks so i can apply to OHIP as soon as they arrive.

Ottawan83

Aug 31, 2019
To get Ontario photo card, essentially same documentary requirements to prove address as for the Ohip card.
Hmm, it seems it is a bit relaxed in terms of documents as they don't require proof of address. Here is a copy from the website:

"You will need to bring the following to a ServiceOntario centre:

original identity documents (for example, birth certificate) to prove your legal name, date of birth and signature
your marriage certificate, if you are applying under your married name
If you do not have proof of signature document, you can use a Declaration from a Guarantor instead."

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
[
It is a great idea and i will do it. I wonder though if there is a proof of address i can get faster than 2 weeks so i can apply to OHIP as soon as they arrive.
Look at the instructions first under proof of residency in Ontario:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card

-lease, utility bill, bank statements, insurance policy (eg home or tenant), phone bill, and some others.

Lease or perhaps insurance policy is the easiest to get as new arrival, in my experience, and easily accepted. Not saying the others aren't but that's what we found easy.

Ottawan83

Aug 31, 2019
Look at the instructions first under proof of residency in Ontario:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card

-lease, utility bill, bank statements, insurance policy (eg home or tenant), phone bill, and some others.

Lease or perhaps insurance policy is the easiest to get as new arrival, in my experience, and easily accepted. Not saying the others aren't but that's what we found easy.
Got it! Thanks alot

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would also doublecheck that the 3 month wait period hasn’t returned right before their departure. The 3 month wait period will be back.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hmm, it seems it is a bit relaxed in terms of documents as they don't require proof of address.
I won't argue wiht the webpage but I recall they do require some form of proof of address. At any rate, demands for the OHIP address are not that onerous.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I should have mentioned: there is a standard type of 'government lease' (it's not with the government but understood by landlords as 'for the government'), the purpose of which is to add people who live there who wouldn't normally be on the lease (as financial obligors).

I think you could also use this if eg one family member owns house and wants to add others as 'living there', but I don't know for certain.