+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How soon after 1095 days did you apply for citizenship

nikkohel

Jul 10, 2020
What is difficult to understand is why anyone would so much as hint, let alone overtly suggest that there is not a big difference in applying with 1096 days versus having a decent buffer.

So, let's be clear: it is FOOLISH to apply without at least several days buffer, at the very minimum. Whatever you mean by "technically." Any suggestion otherwise is a disservice to those trying to decide when is the best time to apply.

NOTE: even IRCC explicitly suggests that applicants wait to apply with more than than what meets the requirement.

There is a lot, lot wrong with suggesting it is OK for applicants to apply when they just barely meet the minimum presence requirement. Sure, some applicants have no option (for example, those whose work requires extensive travel abroad, for whom waiting longer will not actually result in a bigger buffer). Sure, many and probably MOST applicants will be OK even if they applied with little or no buffer. But the RISKS are enough to nonetheless MAKE it OUTRIGHT FOOLISH, utterly foolish, to not wait long enough to have at least ten days more than the minimum.

Technically that's a big deal. Really, this is a big deal.

Even for those who might not avoid RQ-related non-routine processing (there is nothing an applicant can do to guarantee not getting RQ), how it goes in "residency-case" processing can vary widely. And it is likely that a good margin can make a big difference in how it goes for those subject to RQ. There can be a big difference between submitting what is requested in a RQ-lite, which might mean the process takes three to six months longer than it does for those routinely processed, versus the potential for a referral to a Citizenship Judge in a full-blown RQ case, which can add well more than an EXTRA YEAR PLUS to the timeline. And it is almost certain that a good buffer can dramatically reduce the risk of the latter.

And while more than a few applicants appear to believe they can and will be PERFECT in reporting travel history, EVERYONE makes mistakes, and for those who are certain they make no mistakes they are making the very big mistake of overlooking the fact that EVERYONE makes mistakes, including them. Sure, many have simple travel histories and can be confident they got every date correct. But their best insurance is nonetheless a BUFFER . . . remembering, after all, it is not just the number of days IN Canada that matter, but the number of days a total stranger bureaucrat concludes the applicant was for-sure IN Canada.

Again, I do not doubt that most applicants (meaning more than half) will be OK with a minimal if any buffer. But the number at risk for it going otherwise is larger than a few . . . SO, again, it would be FOOLISH for applicants to gamble on that rather than wait at least ten or thirty days to apply with a buffer.

This is what technically means.
I don't really understand why you keep writing the same things over and over again basically explaining what technically means. Technically, there is no difference. What you are suggesting and writing here are all practical things. Practically, it might be better to wait... Sure, it might be. I don't know everyone's case. But technically, IF everything is fine, and IF there is no problem with the application, there should not be any difference.

blingyrie

May 10, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm just getting started on the Citizenship application process. I was wondering on an average how long have most of you waited after the 1095 day physical presence requirement to apply for citizenship? Would 10 days be sufficient?
Mine was 1096 because I never left Canada. If you are sure of your days in and out of Canada, 1096 is good to go.

lilybell

Star Member
Oct 31, 2017
I submitted around 10 days after the 1095 day requirement to submit my application, which was by design - When I did my separate calculations, I noticed that I was accounting an extra day per trip I took (which was conveniently exactly ten in the residency period), whereas the online physical days calculator was not, which had me a bit suspicious about their calculations vs. my own. So, in order to win both ways, I gave a 10 day 'buffer' period before submitting it.

As @sydcarton said - it's your call - I've seen folks on the sheet who cut it down to the wire and submitted it at 1096 days, to folks who've applied years after meeting the requirement because they were not in any hurry to become citizens just yet.
Thank you. And did you have any issues with the 10 day buffer?

lilybell

Star Member
Oct 31, 2017
What is difficult to understand is why anyone would so much as hint, let alone overtly suggest that there is not a big difference in applying with 1096 days versus having a decent buffer.

So, let's be clear: it is FOOLISH to apply without at least several days buffer, at the very minimum. Whatever you mean by "technically." Any suggestion otherwise is a disservice to those trying to decide when is the best time to apply.

NOTE: even IRCC explicitly suggests that applicants wait to apply with more than than what meets the requirement.

There is a lot, lot wrong with suggesting it is OK for applicants to apply when they just barely meet the minimum presence requirement. Sure, some applicants have no option (for example, those whose work requires extensive travel abroad, for whom waiting longer will not actually result in a bigger buffer). Sure, many and probably MOST applicants will be OK even if they applied with little or no buffer. But the RISKS are enough to nonetheless MAKE it OUTRIGHT FOOLISH, utterly foolish, to not wait long enough to have at least ten days more than the minimum.

Technically that's a big deal. Really, this is a big deal.

Even for those who might not avoid RQ-related non-routine processing (there is nothing an applicant can do to guarantee not getting RQ), how it goes in "residency-case" processing can vary widely. And it is likely that a good margin can make a big difference in how it goes for those subject to RQ. There can be a big difference between submitting what is requested in a RQ-lite, which might mean the process takes three to six months longer than it does for those routinely processed, versus the potential for a referral to a Citizenship Judge in a full-blown RQ case, which can add well more than an EXTRA YEAR PLUS to the timeline. And it is almost certain that a good buffer can dramatically reduce the risk of the latter.

And while more than a few applicants appear to believe they can and will be PERFECT in reporting travel history, EVERYONE makes mistakes, and for those who are certain they make no mistakes they are making the very big mistake of overlooking the fact that EVERYONE makes mistakes, including them. Sure, many have simple travel histories and can be confident they got every date correct. But their best insurance is nonetheless a BUFFER . . . remembering, after all, it is not just the number of days IN Canada that matter, but the number of days a total stranger bureaucrat concludes the applicant was for-sure IN Canada.

Again, I do not doubt that most applicants (meaning more than half) will be OK with a minimal if any buffer. But the number at risk for it going otherwise is larger than a few . . . SO, again, it would be FOOLISH for applicants to gamble on that rather than wait at least ten or thirty days to apply with a buffer.
Thanks for the detailed response.

Gemini020

Oct 11, 2015
I'd give it at least 2 weeks buffer (more if there are quite a few trips). Those 2 weeks are not going to make a big difference in the grand scheme of things, considering how long processing time is now, but your application being returned or going through extra checks can really delay your application, by more than those 2 weeks.

Reactions: lilybell

lilybell

Star Member
Oct 31, 2017
I did some rough stats from the first 4 months of 2020 from the tracking sheet. Here are my results. I only included values where the Physical presence days were reported.

Average
127​
Median
40​
Max
801​
Min
0​

Top ten Intervals:

Days over 1095 days
Count of Days over 1095
21​
12​
10​
10​
10​
9​
9​
9​
8​
8​

In the Sample, only 6 applicants applied at exactly 1095 days.
This is amazing. Thanks!

siddharthbala

Jan 12, 2016
Mississauga
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-07-2016
Doc's Request.
28-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-12-2016
Med's Request
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
14-12-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2017
LANDED..........
14-09-2017
Thank you. And did you have any issues with the 10 day buffer?
Nope - got my AOR for now, but it's unlikely that if they send it back it'd be due to my Physical Presence Calculation being wrong, so there is that :).

Gemini020

Oct 11, 2015
I think problems would arise later, when they are actually processing. As long as the PPC is there and it's over 1095 I don't think it would be send back, but may still be subject to the extra scrutiny during processing

Reactions: dpenabill

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I think problems would arise later, when they are actually processing. As long as the PPC is there and it's over 1095 I don't think it would be send back, but may still be subject to the extra scrutiny during processing
This is an important observation.

1095 days credit reported in the physical presence calculator is enough to pass the completeness screening.

(Side-note: Most returned applications related to physical presence calculation issues are due to the applicant relying, in the calculation, on days in Canada with status that GCMS does not document or support, such as time in Canada prior to PR as a visa-exempt visitor, or time in Canada with implied status that is not supported by the individual's GCMS status history.)​

Thus, for example, as more than a few have reported, applicants who overlooked a trip in reporting their travel history do not encounter any physical presence questions or issues UNTIL much later in the process, typically at the test & interview stage. (Albeit serious discrepancies may trigger pre-test RQ, but these days that seems to be at least uncommon if not rare.) Even if the mistake is enough that it will mean the application fails.

All passing the completeness screening means is that the application meets the criteria for processing. Actual processing comes later, in the local office. Other than the verification of status (which appears to be specifically based on, and determined by, the individual's GCMS records), the applicant's physical presence calculation is not verified, not evaluated for accuracy and completeness, until the local office is actually processing the application.

Z86

Star Member
Aug 10, 2019
Mine was 1096 because I never left Canada. If you are sure of your days in and out of Canada, 1096 is good to go.
Same criteria here. Never traveled outside canada from the time coming in Work permit(2019) and after getting PR (2021) due to covid and other restrictions. Planning to have a 10 day buffer and then apply to be on safer side.

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017
I'm hoping to be eligible for citizenship end of this year/Q1 next year. I've maintained the physical presence calculator and synced it with information from CBSA (I requested the records) and CBP (US) where all of my travels outside of Canada have occurred. Are these reliable measures/indicators to estimate the 1095 (or more) days? I'm hoping to have a buffer of 30 days approx by the time I'd be submitting an application, but want to make sure that Im not overlooking any challenges with cross-border travel trips. Any thoughts?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I'm hoping to be eligible for citizenship end of this year/Q1 next year. I've maintained the physical presence calculator and synced it with information from CBSA (I requested the records) and CBP (US) where all of my travels outside of Canada have occurred. Are these reliable measures/indicators to estimate the 1095 (or more) days? I'm hoping to have a buffer of 30 days approx by the time I'd be submitting an application, but want to make sure that Im not overlooking any challenges with cross-border travel trips. Any thoughts?
30 days is a good buffer if you know all your travel days.

johnyrose

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
NOC Code......
A
I would say a 15 day buffer is enough since you have CBSA and CBP records.