+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How should I proof I can financially support my wife

Dec 31, 2023
My background:

I am a PR for 6 years. I was working a long time a ago and put $16000 into investment. Then I went to school got no income. Graduated in 2021 and I've been looking for jobs since then. I recently got an offer to start working Jan 22 2024. It's $45000 annually salary.

I married for 5 years and my wife has been working since 2021 and she's been putting her monthly income into our joint account. Last year I also transferred my investment($19000) into the same account. And we used the joint account for daily spent and everything. Now it has only $6700 left. I opened another account for her this year (2023) now it's about $10000 in it.(I can make it a joint account too if it's necessary.)

Question: how should I proof that I can financially support my wife?

Thank you so much and happy new year everyone!

Reactions: Abdi sham

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My background:

I am a PR for 6 years. I was working a long time a ago and put $16000 into investment. Then I went to school got no income. Graduated in 2021 and I've been looking for jobs since then. I recently got an offer to start working Jan 22 2024. It's $45000 annually salary.

I married for 5 years and my wife has been working since 2021 and she's been putting her monthly income into our joint account. Last year I also transferred my investment($19000) into the same account. And we used the joint account for daily spent and everything. Now it has only $6700 left. I opened another account for her this year (2023) now it's about $10000 in it.(I can make it a joint account too if it's necessary.)

The fact that you have been unemployed for 2 years will likely create concerns about how you will support your spouse. How have you been surviving with no income and previously as a student? Your savings should have decreased a lot more rapidly if you were paying for a home, food, transportation, etc. Have you been receive social assistance, CERB benefits in the past, student loans, etc? When does your job start in 2024? It should not have been that difficult to find a job paying 45k in the past few years when there was need for labour in many industries. What did you do for 2 years? Were you in Canada for the last 2 years? Why are you sponsoring your spouse now when you have been married for 5 years and how much time have you spent in person together in the past 5 years?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My background:

So you didn't have investment income when you put $16,000 on it? What kind of investment was that? If you put that sum of money in a GIC or term deposit, you should at least get some interest income. So last year you sold your investment for $19,000, then you made $3000 in capital gain?

Dec 31, 2023
The fact that you have been unemployed for 2 years will likely create concerns about how you will support your spouse. How have you been surviving with no income and previously as a student? Your savings should have decreased a lot more rapidly if you were paying for a home, food, transportation, etc. Have you been receive social assistance, CERB benefits in the past, student loans, etc? When does your job start in 2024? It should not have been that difficult to find a job paying 45k in the past few years when there was need for labour in many industries. What did you do for 2 years? Were you in Canada for the last 2 years? Why are you sponsoring your spouse now when you have been married for 5 years and how much time have you spent in person together in the past 5 years?
Yes having been unemployed for 2 years is my biggest concern now. I lived based on my wife's income and my parents' support abroad. My wife and I have been living together since marriage and we stay together everyday that's why we use one account to spend everything. Her work permit is going to expire in March that's why she's set out to prepare the sponsor immigrants, she was planning to do EE but the score is too high now seems not possible to invite her recently. When I was a student I had some cash job and 2 internship jobs in 2021. I received CERB and paid back already. I had student loan and started paying out each month. Our monthly spent is around $2000-2500, including $900 rent, eat out, grocery, transportation everything. I have been looking for a decent office work so I don't want to do labour job. I know! I should have if I knew it's a concern for her immigration. Yes we have been living in Canada all the time. My job start on 2024 Jan 22.

Dec 31, 2023
So you didn't have investment income when you put $16,000 on it? What kind of investment was that? If you put that sum of money in a GIC or term deposit, you should at least get some interest income. So last year you sold your investment for $19,000, then you made $3000 in capital gain?
$19000 - 16000 is my interest income, it's around 15-20% rate of return. It was some mutual funds I think.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
$19000 - 16000 is my interest income, it's around 15-20% rate of return. It was some mutual funds I think.
So you do have investment income (you might not had realised) while at school. Investment income is a type of income. Next time, don't say you have no income even if you are unemployed.

Dec 31, 2023
So you do have investment income (you might not had realised) while at school. Investment income is a type of income. Next time, don't say you have no income even if you are unemployed.
I see, yes you're right. So how should I proof I can financially support my wife? $3000 apparently not enough to support my wife, I guess?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I see, yes you're right. So how should I proof I can financially support my wife? $3000 apparently not enough to support my wife, I guess?
But at the same time, there's no mention how much is minimum for financially support a spouse. Some people write a LOE that they will keep on their job hunting..

Reactions: twentygoodluck

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Her work permit is going to expire in March that's why she's set out to prepare the sponsor immigrants, she was planning to do EE but the score is too high now seems not possible to invite her recently.
You can refer to her work experience and plans to work as well as to your own. If I understand the situation properly, there is an additional issue (at least temporary) that she may not have income between when her work permit runs out and when PR is approved.

Yes, it would be a MUCH stronger case if you at least got a job before applying to sponsor her.

But there is no formal minimum, you have some income, and she will plan to work in long term. If you get some employment to show when applying it might be okay.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My background:

If your wife has been working in Canada it is much easier to justify that she will be able to continue to work to help support your family. It is highly unusual not to do any work while looking for other employment unless you have severance or significant savings. Also extremely unusual not to sponsor your spouse for so many years. Would also suggest waiting until you start working until you file for sponsorship. As mentioned there is no fixed amount but if for some reason this job does not work out do try to find another job even part-time to support yourself while looking for other work. As soon as your spouse gets AOR from her sponsorship application she can apply for an OWP. If you live near a land border or have a car/know someone willing to drive you she could go to the border and flagpole to get an OWP as fast as possible. You should call ahead and verify when flagpoling is possible and how many people they accept per day which may mean you have to go first thing in the morning.

Dec 31, 2023
You can refer to her work experience and plans to work as well as to your own. If I understand the situation properly, there is an additional issue (at least temporary) that she may not have income between when her work permit runs out and when PR is approved.

Yes, it would be a MUCH stronger case if you at least got a job before applying to sponsor her.

But there is no formal minimum, you have some income, and she will plan to work in long term. If you get some employment to show when applying it might be okay.

Thank you for your advise! I heard that once I submit the application online, she can hold her last status which is work permit until the case has been decided - whether is approved or rejected. So she can still working during the case is being reviewed.

She has work now and it's enough to support us to live ($70k per annual). But I don't think it's a strong proof to show that I myself have sufficient income to support her.

Yes that's a good idea, I will submit the application after I received my first payroll in January then.

Dec 31, 2023
If your wife has been working in Canada it is much easier to justify that she will be able to continue to work to help support your family. It is highly unusual not to do any work while looking for other employment unless you have severance or significant savings. Also extremely unusual not to sponsor your spouse for so many years. Would also suggest waiting until you start working until you file for sponsorship. As mentioned there is no fixed amount but if for some reason this job does not work out do try to find another job even part-time to support yourself while looking for other work. As soon as your spouse gets AOR from her sponsorship application she can apply for an OWP. If you live near a land border or have a car/know someone willing to drive you she could go to the border and flagpole to get an OWP as fast as possible. You should call ahead and verify when flagpoling is possible and how many people they accept per day which may mean you have to go first thing in the morning.
I have been looking for jobs since graduation and took course to learn skills during 2 years. In our family, I usually take care of housework and she earn money for the family. I wanted to sponsor her since we get married but she want to go with EE until now is almost hopeless with incredible high scores. I will submit the application after I received my first payroll in Jan 2024 then.

I heard AOR for EE is generated automatically, usually just minutes after the application is submitted, so I thought family sponsorship would be that fast too, no? I use this website fill in forms: https://prson-srpel.apps.cic.gc.ca/en

I live in Toronto I can drive to Rainbow Bridge to get the OWP if necessary.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your advise! I heard that once I submit the application online, she can hold her last status which is work permit until the case has been decided - whether is approved or rejected. So she can still working during the case is being reviewed.

She has work now and it's enough to support us to live ($70k per annual). But I don't think it's a strong proof to show that I myself have sufficient income to support her.

Yes that's a good idea, I will submit the application after I received my first payroll in January then.
You only get implied status if you have AOR for OWP not family sponsorship. You need AOR from the spousal sponsorship to apply for the OWP so your spouse will not be able to work until she gets AOR from OWP. Given this information I would apply for sponsorship asap to minimize period when your spouse can’t work. Typically person sponsoring needs to show they can financially support their spouse but given your wife has a long history of employment in a Canada her income should be a significant consideration.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have been looking for jobs since graduation and took course to learn skills during 2 years. In our family, I usually take care of housework and she earn money for the family. I wanted to sponsor her since we get married but she want to go with EE until now is almost hopeless with incredible high scores. I will submit the application after I received my first payroll in Jan 2024 then.

I heard AOR for EE is generated automatically, usually just minutes after the application is submitted, so I thought family sponsorship would be that fast too, no? I use this website fill in forms: https://prson-srpel.apps.cic.gc.ca/en

I live in Toronto I can drive to Rainbow Bridge to get the OWP if necessary.
[/QUOT

As already suggested since your spouse will need to stop working I would suggest applying as soon as possible. It is great that you have take on more domestic duties being stay at home partner and I can understand why your wife would want to qualify for EE based on her own merits but by delaying applying for sponsorship she will likely have to stop working for a period of time. You will need to contact the borders close to Canada about their flagpoling policies when they accept applications and how many per day if they accept them.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think you have missed my point, which is they do not (seem to) strictly apply a test that the sponsor is able to support the other spouse. They can and do take into account if the spouse works/is likely to work.