+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How Refugee get Driving license in Alberta

gsarora279

Apr 1, 2018
Dear all
My status is canada is a refugee claimant . i confirmed with the registry as they say alberta not issue Dricunf license to refugee until your positive decision.

pls help what to do... i came here in january i have a small baby its very difficult to manage without car

pls help friends

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Until you are accepted as a refugee (after your hearing), Alberta will not provide a driver license. Until then, there is nothing you can do.

gsarora279

Apr 1, 2018
bro we are already accepted as a refugee and also got work permit and sin ...now what is the next step to obtain the driving license

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you a claimant or you are already a protected person? Refugee claimant means you have not had your hearing yet. You can get a work permit before being accepted as a protected person.

Iyad717

Star Member
Jul 1, 2016
You can get your driving license in Ontario even if you are still for waiting for your hearing. Alberta is a bit strict in terms of regulations and laws. You need to move there, show them a proof of residency with your refugee papers then you will be able to get the license, buy a car and register it under your name. But keep in mind that you still need to come back to Alberta for your hearing. Its a long hectic process but this is the only way if you are desperate for a driving license.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately I wouldn't count on your hearing going ahead. Many hearings are cancelled. The average wait time is over a year and could be closer to 2 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: gavendano

gsarora279

Apr 1, 2018
You can get your driving license in Ontario even if you are still for waiting for your hearing. Alberta is a bit strict in terms of regulations and laws. You need to move there, show them a proof of residency with your refugee papers then you will be able to get the license, buy a car and register it under your name. But keep in mind that you still need to come back to Alberta for your hearing. Its a long hectic process but this is the only way if you are desperate for a driving license.
thanks alot for your reply ...what kind of residence proof they consider...will internet bill

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just to clarify. You can't use an Ontario license in Alberta if you live there. You will be asked to switch to an Alberta license. The cost of car insurance may be prohibitive if you move to Ontario. If you have applied for legal aid or social assistance you would have to change all these things when you change provinces. I would anticipate delays when transferring these things.

Reactions: Buletruck

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Just to add, if you do acquire an Ontario license and return to Alberta, you still won’t be able to exchange it for an Alberta license as you wouldn’t have status yet. You cant get a license in Alberta until you have your refugee hearing.

gsarora279

Apr 1, 2018
dear can you please guide me what documents they want for driving license in ontario
what kind of residence proof they accept

plese help dear. i hav a small baby its very difficult to manage without car
pls help me how to get driving license from ontario

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You would need to move to Ontario and live there. If you live in Alberta, you need/will need an Alberta drivers license to drive in Alberta.