+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How 'Open work permit' works in Canada

mrsheri

Nov 15, 2017
Lets just say, I'm in USA for 10 years, working as Product Manager/Business Analyst in IT industry, with an intention to start ecommerce or web related small business. And I want to move to canada to find work and possibly start small ecommerce business, is 'Open work permit' the right and easy way to move to Canada?

I tried exploring other options (express entry, finding a job, etc..) but to me, they seem to be impossible.

Experts, can you please share your knowledge on 'Open work permit'?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you want to start a business you would need to look into immigrating and becoming a permanent resident. I would recommend you research the Start Up Visa as an option.

An open work permit won't be granted because you want to open a business in Canada. Who qualifies for an open work permit can be found here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=177&top=17

mrsheri

Nov 15, 2017
If you want to start a business you would need to look into immigrating and becoming a permanent resident. I would recommend you research the Start Up Visa as an option.

An open work permit won't be granted because you want to open a business in Canada. Who qualifies for an open work permit can be found here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=177&top=17
I learn that Start up visa requires you to have at least 200k investment or a support letter from Incubation partner companies...but I'm not there yet. So I would like to come to Canada, experience the culture/work style, and then start business slowly. For first few years, I just want to work.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I learn that Start up visa requires you to have at least 200k investment or a support letter from Incubation partner companies...but I'm not there yet. So I would like to come to Canada, experience the culture/work style, and then start business slowly. For first few years, I just want to work.
What passport do you hold?

Generally speaking, if you want to work, you need to secure a full time job offer in Canada and your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA. Once the LMIA is approved, you can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

mrsheri

Nov 15, 2017
What passport do you hold?

Generally speaking, if you want to work, you need to secure a full time job offer in Canada and your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA. Once the LMIA is approved, you can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.
I'm Indian citizen. I dont see it realistic to find a job in Canada from another country. 'Open work category' looked better than other options, as it allows you work for any company (except some), however for temporary period of time. What I dont understand is, what exactly the restrictions are! and how long can it work?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm Indian citizen. I dont see it realistic to find a job in Canada from another country. 'Open work category' looked better than other options, as it allows you work for any company (except some), however for temporary period of time. What I dont understand is, what exactly the restrictions are! and how long can it work?
There is no "open work category". OWPs are only given out in very specific situations; scylla posted the link that explains exactly that. You don't qualify.

mrsheri

Nov 15, 2017
There is no "open work category". OWPs are only given out in very specific situations; scylla posted the link that explains exactly that. You don't qualify.
Thanks for your reply! I guess need to learn more about Canada work permits.

Last edited: