+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How much time do I have?

akhildeviprasad

Aug 25, 2017
I got my PR card on March 2019 and is valid until March 2024.

I want to know how long do I have before I have to move to Canada in order to get a citizenship or renew my PR card? Exactly how many years do I need to stay in order to renew the PR card or get a citizenship ( getting a citizenship is the main priority ), but considering the current situation I am a little worried about resigning from my current job and finding a new one in Canada.

Please help me out to make the right decision.

I am currently working in UAE and I am not accompanying anyone along with me. I need the citizenship and I am not exactly sure how much time do I have in my hand since my PR card will expire by march 2024. As far as I understand I need to live in Canada for 3 years in order to apply for the citizenship and since march 2021 is pretty near so I guess I need to move to Canada by march 2021.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you accompanying a Canadian spouse or working for a Canadian company who transferred you to the US?

akhildeviprasad

Aug 25, 2017
Are you accompanying a Canadian spouse or working for a Canadian company who transferred you to the US?
I am currently working in UAE and I am not accompanying anyone along with me. I need the citizenship and I am not exactly sure how much time do I have in my hand since my PR card will expire by march 2024. As far as I understand I need to live in Canada for 3 years in order to apply for the citizenship and since march 2021 is pretty near so I guess I need to move to Canada by march 2021.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
First PR card validity dates are not relevant to anything other than a card needs to be valid for travel.

1)In order to keep your PR status you need to be in Canada for a minimum of 2 years in the 5 years from your initial landing, so not 3/2019 but maybe assume was Jan/Feb 2019. After the initial 5 years the 5 years becomes a rolling 5 years in that each new entry to the country you need to be able to show 2 years in the 5 years before each new entry.

2)For citizenship you need to have 3 years physical presence in the 5 years before the date you submit the application. The 3 years must be a minimum of 2 years as a PR and if any temp status days before becoming a PR they can be credited at one half day to a max of 1 year to make the 3 years, else 3 years as a PR

So for PR status the absolute maximum time you can stay away would be near 3 years from initial landing but then you would need to stay put for 2 years without leaving, So in your case ignoring the card validity then sure 1Q/2Q 2021 might be a good idea given that gives you a bit more PR flexibility should you need to leave the country at all 2021/2/4.

For citizenship then best case maybe assume that all things considered maybe aim for achieving that in 2025 given even pre COVID application might take 12 months or so.

akhildeviprasad

Aug 25, 2017
First PR card validity dates are not relevant to anything other than a card needs to be valid for travel.

1)In order to keep your PR status you need to be in Canada for a minimum of 2 years in the 5 years from your initial landing, so not 3/2019 but maybe assume was Jan/Feb 2019. After the initial 5 years the 5 years becomes a rolling 5 years in that each new entry to the country you need to be able to show 2 years in the 5 years before each new entry.

2)For citizenship you need to have 3 years physical presence in the 5 years before the date you submit the application. The 3 years must be a minimum of 2 years as a PR and if any temp status days before becoming a PR they can be credited at one half day to a max of 1 year to make the 3 years, else 3 years as a PR

So for PR status the absolute maximum time you can stay away would be near 3 years from initial landing but then you would need to stay put for 2 years without leaving, So in your case ignoring the card validity then sure 1Q/2Q 2021 might be a good idea given that gives you a bit more PR flexibility should you need to leave the country at all 2021/2/4.

For citizenship then best case maybe assume that all things considered maybe aim for achieving that in 2025 given even pre COVID application might take 12 months or so.
Hi,
Thank you so much for your response.
Is There a way I can get in touch with you ? Like an email or a number. Need to get more clarity on the duration of the stay and how it would be counted.

Thanks and regards,
Akhil