+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How much money is needed to live in BC for one year

Sepideh81

Apr 2, 2019
Hello. How much money do you need to have on you to be able to live in BC for one year? we are a family of three, including a one-year old. We are planning to live one of the districts half hour to one hour away (driving) from Vancouver.
thanks a lot

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
60,000 CAD
60K will be tough especially if you are starting from scratch and need to get a car, home, furnishing, car seat, basic furnishings, etc. Gas is normally very expensive in BC although we are currently going through an anomaly. It is doable but with very few extras. Is there a reason you are moving to Vancouver and now with very young child. Definitely easier in other regions or when you have a child going to school and can have a second income.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
60K will be tough especially if you are starting from scratch and need to get a car, home, furnishing, car seat, basic furnishings, etc. Gas is normally very expensive in BC although we are currently going through an anomaly. It is doable but with very few extras. Is there a reason you are moving to Vancouver and now with very young child. Definitely easier in other regions or when you have a child going to school and can have a second income.
Gas is still more expensive than most places in Ontario despite the anomaly. Many people fill pump across the border.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Gas is still more expensive than most places in Ontario despite the anomaly. Many people fill pump across the border.
Not everyone has the time togo across the border and especially if OP is planning on a relatively long commute gas can become a pretty expensive monthly budget item in BC. With a 60K salary should also try to purchase a car that is more fuel efficient.

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
Its initial settlement amount, that OP needs to live in BC, without any salary, for 1 yr.

(rent+transit+day to day expenses)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not everyone has the time togo across the border and especially if OP is planning on a relatively long commute gas can become a pretty expensive monthly budget item in BC. With a 60K salary should also try to purchase a car that is more fuel efficient.
How long is relatively long?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Its initial settlement amount, that OP needs to live in BC, without any salary, for 1 yr.

(rent+transit+day to day expenses)
The fact that OP is worried about MSP fees leads me to believe they likely don’t have a large sum saved up to relocate and set-up house. Just renting out an apartment is tough in Vancouver without decent savings and a secured job.

Sepideh81

Apr 2, 2019
Thank you all for responding. We intend to move to BC because my husband and I are both civil engineers and my husband's specialty is hydrology. As he has research for his field there is more chance to find a job in BC than other regions. However we most probably need to survive the first year on our own, if not more.
We have savings that we could transfer, just I need a rough estimate on how much.

peresada

Oct 21, 2014
Hi!
living in port moody (30min drive from vancouver downtown) we are family of 4. our income is about 90k after tax.
we are living here for 3 years now. if i were you i would consider different location.
its very expensive, spending lots of time in traffic, every place you go is crowded, schools are underfunded etc.
we are moving out in one week. i don't really getting why people wants to live here.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi!
living in port moody (30min drive from vancouver downtown) we are family of 4. our income is about 90k after tax.
we are living here for 3 years now. if i were you i would consider different location.
its very expensive, spending lots of time in traffic, every place you go is crowded, schools are underfunded etc.
we are moving out in one week. i don't really getting why people wants to live here.
Moving in the middle of covid? The traffic is not bad, compare to NYC and LA.