+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How much funds to bring to Canada?

Diy

Star Member
Apr 5, 2011
Hi
I am wondering how much funds to be mentioned in EE profile. We are 4 family members, my spouse, me and two children.
Someone told that maximum affordable amount to be stated but what if one intends to take cash sufficient for 5-6 months or less?
and what if one carries less funds than stated in his EE profile (but more than minimum required amount)?

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Diy said:
Hi
I am wondering how much funds to be mentioned in EE profile. We are 4 family members, my spouse, me and two children.
Someone told that maximum affordable amount to be stated but what if one intends to take cash sufficient for 5-6 months or less?
and what if one carries less funds than stated in his EE profile (but more than minimum required amount)?
Minimum amounts are here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

I don't understand your second question "Someone told that maximum affordable amount to be stated but what if one intends to take cash sufficient for 5-6 months or less" What do you mean? You must have at least the amount as specified in the website above, regardless if it is in cash or in a bank account. Mentioning more does not give you any advantage for your application.

It is fine if you have a different amount when you arrive in Canada compared to when you applied, but it must be more than the minimum value at that time. (CIC regularly update the values).

Diy

Star Member
Apr 5, 2011
Thanks
Does it mean that bringing more funds than mentioned in application would not be objectionable or taxed?

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Diy said:
Thanks
Does it mean that bringing more funds than mentioned in application would not be objectionable or taxed?
No, it is not objectionable or taxable, but you have to declare any amount in cash (or equivalent) above C$10k.

Again, refer to the bottom of the website I posted earlier.

Diy

Star Member
Apr 5, 2011
Thanks for the reply.
I still have some queries to clarify.
What if i bring more/less funds than what is mentioned in the application?

Yoda24

Nov 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Diy said:
Thanks for the reply.
I still have some queries to clarify.
What if i bring more/less funds than what is mentioned in the application?
You can bring less fund with you but you need to have the minimum fund (based on your family size) required by Immigration, it does not matter if the fund is in your home country bank account, ensure you carry the bank statement, as you could be asked by officers at the airport to show the funds for meeting the immigration requirement. Hope this clarifies.

karachi-pakistan

Apr 12, 2016
Edmonton, AB, CA
Yoda24 said:
You can bring less fund with you but you need to have the minimum fund (based on your family size) required by Immigration, it does not matter if the fund is in your home country bank account, ensure you carry the bank statement, as you could be asked by officers at the airport to show the funds for meeting the immigration requirement. Hope this clarifies.
I intend to make my first visit for just two weeks and make my permanent move later after a few months.

So on my first visit, can I show a bank statement, at the Port of Entry, having less than the minimum funds requirement if it is accompanied by confirmed return air ticket after two weeks.

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
karachi said:
I intend to make my first visit for just two weeks and make my permanent move later after a few months.

So on my first visit, can I show a bank statement, at the Port of Entry, having less than the minimum funds requirement if it is accompanied by confirmed return air ticket after two weeks.
No, must have the minimum funds when you land. Doesn't matter if you return or not because you will become a PR as of your first landing.

samurai_007

Apr 15, 2016
Hey

I will be landing in Toronto along with my wife in mid-June.
We are planning to look for an immediate make-shift job till we get a more suitable permanent job.
How much funds you suggest are reasonably sufficient for sustaining a moderate life (without job) in Toronto per month?

-B

Diy

Star Member
Apr 5, 2011
Came across some information

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

I hope it would be helpful for others as well

roshantrv83

Star Member
Feb 28, 2016
Funds can be in bank account of our home country ? We can produce the statement too at the time of entry.....Should we convert it into CAD or any other mean before leaving home country ? or any issues when transferring money to new Canadian bank account ?

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but can posting here since the topic is relevant.

What is the definition of "family" as per CIC?
I am a single, so if I got ITA under FSW, do I need to show funds for myself alone OR for my parents as well?

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
rollercoaster said:
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but can posting here since the topic is relevant.

I am a single, so if I got ITA under FSW, do I need to show funds for myself alone OR for my parents as well?
An applicant’s family/closest relatives, in the context of an application to CIC is defined as a spouse or common-law partner and dependent children.

Yoda24

Nov 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rollercoaster said:

In your case "You only"