+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How much do I need for proof of funds.

wings149

Star Member
Aug 23, 2022
Hi Guys,

I have been successful in my application for a work permit and intend on leaving the UK and making my move over to Canada. My work permit will be specific to my employer who I am relocating for. I will be travelling with my husband and 4 children who will enter as visitors until our PR is finalised. On reading through the documents I may be asked to show at the border, I see need to have Proof of funds. I cannot seem to find how much they need you to have? I would hate to get to the border and be told I was $2k short or something like that.
We are selling our house in the UK and I know they don't take that into consideration. They wish to look at accessible funds.

Two questions:
Does anyone know how much I should have in my account for when I arrive?
Has anyone else entered Canada and obtained their work permit at the border with their letter of introduction, what do they ask and check for generally. I will be armed with all the documents I need but just wondering what happens when I present myself.

Thanks. Any information would be appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Guys,

I have been successful in my application for a work permit and intend on leaving the UK and making my move over to Canada. My work permit will be specific to my employer who I am relocating for. I will be travelling with my husband and 4 children who will enter as visitors until our PR is finalised. On reading through the documents I may be asked to show at the border, I see need to have Proof of funds. I cannot seem to find how much they need you to have? I would hate to get to the border and be told I was $2k short or something like that.
We are selling our house in the UK and I know they don't take that into consideration. They wish to look at accessible funds.

Two questions:
Does anyone know how much I should have in my account for when I arrive?
Has anyone else entered Canada and obtained their work permit at the border with their letter of introduction, what do they ask and check for generally. I will be armed with all the documents I need but just wondering what happens when I present myself.

Thanks. Any information would be appreciated.
Your family should not be arriving as visitors if they plan on moving to Canada. Your husband should apply for a OWP even if he doesn’t intend to work. Any child 4 or over should apply for a study permit. If your whole family appears to be trying to relocate to Canada on TRVs you could run into problems at the border, at schools, etc.

Reactions: wsmith117788

wings149

Star Member
Aug 23, 2022
Your family should not be arriving as visitors if they plan on moving to Canada. Your husband should apply for a OWP even if he doesn’t intend to work. Any child 4 or over should apply for a study permit. If your whole family appears to be trying to relocate to Canada on TRVs you could run into problems at the border, at schools, etc.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I wasn’t clear above. My husband has a OWP which has also been granted and the children are arriving as visitors which is the advice we have received. You can study for up to 6 months if they are children on a visitors visa so there won’t be any issues there. I had this confirmed as the correct pathway with IRCC. Thank you though, I should have been clearer above. All the best.