+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How much cash and gold could I carry?

deep.g

Star Member
Sep 23, 2021
Hello guys, I have received my outland PR (spouse) visa and would be flying soon for my first entry.

Could someone please advice me how much maximum gold jewellery (weight) and maximum cash could I carry from India to Canada?

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Hello guys, I have received my outland PR (spouse) visa and would be flying soon for my first entry.

Could someone please advice me how much maximum gold jewellery (weight) and maximum cash could I carry from India to Canada?
No maximum. But if you have more than $10,000 in cash you should declare it at customs. But again, no maximum.

Reactions: deep.g

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If your bringing more than $10K or an equivalent amount in foreign currency, you’ll should bring any documentation you can to prove it’s legitimately yours as well. P

Reactions: deep.g and DimT44

deep.g

Star Member
Sep 23, 2021
No maximum. But if you have more than $10,000 in cash you should declare it at customs. But again, no maximum.
If your bringing more than $10K or an equivalent amount in foreign currency, you’ll should bring any documentation you can to prove it’s legitimately yours as well. P
Thank you for your replies guys. Is there any limit on gold?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Better to check with India too.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's only for Canada. Are you sure there's no restrictions for India?

Angel1113

Jun 6, 2019
Ontario
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24 June 2020
Med's Done....
05-06-2020
Thank you for your replies guys. Is there any limit on gold?
There is no limit on bringing personal gold. But don't fill your handbag completely with gold though lol! Returning Canadians have to worry about paying tax on gold they are bringing for the first time to Canada. But since you are not returning Canadian you don't have to worry about that.

My suggestion would be to bring all the gold you have this time and then take pictures with it while you are in Canada. When I was returning to Canada from India this year in April, I had put down on the declaration form that I bought stuff worth of $800 while I was away but then the custom officer asked me about gold rings and chain I was wearing (I think because I told him that I went there to get married $800 might have sounded too less to him). I had the photos with that jewelry in Canada so I was not asked to pay any tax on it.

As for the cash, Canada has no limit but you have to declare if it is over $10000. I am not sure but I think India do have some restrictions on how much Indian currency you can carry out of the country (I think you can only take out 25000 indian ruppees) so might be a good idea to get it converted into dollars before bringing.

Last edited:

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
Be careful about gold. My in laws were in trouble at the airport because they had A LOT OF gold. The agent requested the source/receipt. My in laws said it’s a gift » lol
They let them go

deep.g

Star Member
Sep 23, 2021
There is no limit on bringing personal gold. But don't fill your handbag completely with gold though lol! Returning Canadians have to worry about paying tax on gold they are bringing for the first time to Canada. But since you are not returning Canadian you don't have to worry about that.

My suggestion would be to bring all the gold you have this time and then take pictures with it while you are in Canada. When I was returning to Canada from India this year in April, I had put down on the declaration form that I bought stuff worth of $800 while I was away but then the custom officer asked me about gold rings and chain I was wearing (I think because I told him that I went there to get married $800 might have sounded too less to him). I had the photos with that jewelry in Canada so I was not asked to pay any tax on it.

As for the cash, Canada has no limit but you have to declare if it is over $10000. I am not sure but I think India do have some restrictions on how much Indian currency you can carry out of the country (I think you can only take out 25000 indian ruppees) so might be a good idea to get it converted into dollars before bringing.
Be careful about gold. My in laws were in trouble at the airport because they had A LOT OF gold. The agent requested the source/receipt. My in laws said it’s a gift » lol
They let them go
Thank you for replying. The gold jewellery I wish to take with me is of my wife’s, and she’s already in Canada. She took almost half of her jewellery last time she went back to Canada after our marriage.

If I show them the pictures that she was already wearing it back then in India, would they let it go without bugging me?

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Thank you for replying. The gold jewellery I wish to take with me is of my wife’s, and she’s already in Canada. She took almost half of her jewellery last time she went back to Canada after our marriage.

If I show them the pictures that she was already wearing it back then in India, would they let it go without bugging me?
Do you have reciepts of when you purchased them? Proof of the payment from your bank or card statement?
You need to be very careful, the onus is on you to prove that these are not new purchases or new gifts for example. Because you will be asked to pay tax for example.
Why did your wife not take all of her gold with her the first time? That was her chance to bring everything she needs to. (Don’t you even declare this stuff the first time she lands?)

deep.g

Star Member
Sep 23, 2021
Do you have reciepts of when you purchased them? Proof of the payment from your bank or card statement?
You need to be very careful, the onus is on you to prove that these are not new purchases or new gifts for example. Because you will be asked to pay tax for example.
Why did your wife not take all of her gold with her the first time? That was her chance to bring everything she needs to. (Don’t you even declare this stuff the first time she lands?)
She was travelling alone and already had half of her jewellery on her and was afraid. We don’t have the receipts anymore. Would the pictures of her wearing this jewellery on multiple occasions suffice to prove that this is not new purchase?

Angel1113

Jun 6, 2019
Ontario
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24 June 2020
Med's Done....
05-06-2020
She was travelling alone and already had half of her jewellery on her and was afraid. We don’t have the receipts anymore. Would the pictures of her wearing this jewellery on multiple occasions suffice to prove that this is not new purchase?
Since you are coming to Canada for the first time you don't have to worry about paying tax. Because you are moving here and are allowed to bring your belongings with you regardless of their value. Just make sure you declare it on the declaration form when you land. Failure to declare it can result in fine or seizure of it. No need of pictures. But might be a good idea to go to the jeweler shop and get the bills just in case custom officer question you about it and want you to prove that it does belong to you and is not stolen.
Even I left most of my jewelry in India for my husband to bring because as a returning Canadian I would have had to pay taxes on the purchases I made during oversea trip.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Maybe. Do you have close up pictures that show every piece? I mean you have to prepare for the worst. It will depend on your luck, the officer you get, and how significant is this other half ($1k, $10k, $200k?)

I was once crossing the border, and was asked about an expensive ring I was wearing that I did not declare. My word was enough as proof. But again, the ounus is on you if they wanted to investigate further. Gather any and all proof that you have and just travel.

If you don’t have reciepts go back to where you bought the gold and ask for a new copy of your purchase. Or show bank or card payments.I’m sure you can get better proof than just these pictures, but they will be helpful if that’s all you bring as proof.

Angel1113

Jun 6, 2019
Ontario
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24 June 2020
Med's Done....
05-06-2020