+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How much can a permanent resident declare as personal goods to bring to canada?

angelie rose

Sep 17, 2018
Hi everyone, i need your help. I will be travelling to canada this month and im currently preparing my list of goods to be declared. It was stated that being detailed and specific with the estimated amount of everything you will be bringing with you is better. Now my concern is, is there a maximum total amount that a first time permanent resident should be aware of? I have read that there are personal exemptions of tax to returning canadians (like a limit of 800cad tax exemption) but does that mean we are taxed with our items too? Its mostly personal used clothes and items and a few unopen skin care and some dtuffs i brought with me. After i totalled it, it came upon around 3000 cad. Should i be concerned about this? Would they let me pay taxes for the things i brought with me?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone, i need your help. I will be travelling to canada this month and im currently preparing my list of goods to be declared. It was stated that being detailed and specific with the estimated amount of everything you will be bringing with you is better. Now my concern is, is there a maximum total amount that a first time permanent resident should be aware of? I have read that there are personal exemptions of tax to returning canadians (like a limit of 800cad tax exemption) but does that mean we are taxed with our items too? Its mostly personal used clothes and items and a few unopen skin care and some dtuffs i brought with me. After i totalled it, it came upon around 3000 cad. Should i be concerned about this? Would they let me pay taxes for the things i brought with me?
No, you are a settler and not a "returning Canadian". You can bring any value of items you want as long as these items are possessed by you at least 6 months and you intend to settle Canada for at least 1 year.

angelie rose

Sep 17, 2018
No, you are a settler and not a "returning Canadian". You can bring any value of items you want as long as these items are possessed by you at least 6 months and you intend to settle Canada for at least 1 year.
Okay thats great to know! I was kind of worried about the tax. So let me clarify, i can declare as much as the worth of all my personal belongings and i will not be penalized for that because i am a permanent resident?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
a) You can bring in as many items as you want. No limit on total cost of items as long as those are documented in Goods accompanied and Goods to follow list

b) You can being only 10,000 CAD undeclared cash in Canada. Anything more than that you will need to declare yo CBSA.

angelie rose

Sep 17, 2018
Thank you for the insight! May i ask further if you can being replica items of brands with you to canada? Like replica brand of bags? Its not brand new though. I have used it.

Zayynah

Sep 19, 2018
a) You can bring in as many items as you want. No limit on total cost of items as long as those are documented in Goods accompanied and Goods to follow list

b) You can being only 10,000 CAD undeclared cash in Canada. Anything more than that you will need to declare yo CBSA.
For a family of 4, will it be ok if im carrying more than 10k CAD (as in the minimum quote that cic shows on their website)
Thanks