+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How many times I can extend parents stay

Rustamjan

Star Member
Dec 9, 2013
Hi there,

Thanks for your continuous support. Your support is really helpful.

You might know from previous communication my mom is currently in Canada on a visitor visa. She arrived on November 15, 2018 and was issued 6 month stay at the airport. Before expiry of her stay I applied for extension of stay and got 6 month extension. So, she already got extensions once. Given this situation, I have two questions:

1. My question is can she get another extension of stay?

2. Yes, I am aware that there is no set rule after how many days/weeks/months you can return to Canada after you leave country. It depends on the Officer how many days of stay to grant on arrival. Can anyone share any information on the time you must be absent from country to enter again on the visitor visa. Can she flagpole US border ? If yes, does she need US visa to flagpole US border?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
If IRCC feels that you are trying to have you mother stay permanently on a tourist visa (it sounds like you are), they can deny her an extension and also deny her entry the next time she tries coming in.

There is no hard rule that says exactly how many extensions you can get. People have gotten 2 year extensions, others have been denied the first time they tried.

In terms of how long you must be absent, it is generally considered a good thing to be absent at least a couple of months. Again, there's no hard rule here - it comes down to whether the CBSA officer feels that you are trying to live here permanently on a tourist visa. Many people do try to do this for their parents, and it works.. till one day it doesn't and you get denied entry. No one can say for sure when that day is - you may be lucky and get two or three extensions and have no trouble entering, or you may be denied right now.

If you want your mother to live here for a longer time, you should apply for a Supervisa. That's what it's for.

samir3132

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2010
Visa Office......
cpp
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Nov 22, 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 08, 2014
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
Jan 11, 2014
Med's Request
June 04 2014
Med's Done....
June 06 2014
Passport Req..
sep 26,2014
VISA ISSUED...
06 Oct 2014
LANDED..........
Feb 01 2015
My mother in law got extension for 1.5 yrs for visitor visa you can apply for 1yr extention instead of six month.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You do not need a US visa to flagpole but personal view possibly not a good or viable option to extend a stay as a visitor given that sort of could imply intent to live in Canada as a visitor by working the system and are at the mercy of whichever CBSA officer come face to face with so could even worst case be told to leave in a week.Leaving the country for a period possibly has better odds option than flagpoling.

Just use the correct process to extend stay as a vistor from within the country given you get a few extra months as well in implied status pending a decision. plus extensions are processed by IRCC not CBSA so more consideration of the background for the extension. .

As per 21Goose you should go the super visa route if you want extended stays without any issues or worry about extensions given at some point extensions will fail and there will possibly need to be an extended period out of Canada before returning

Last edited: