+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How many months one can stay outside Canada on their open work permit?

ravikumar390

Star Member
Jun 19, 2022
Hi all,

I have a Canadian Post graduate open work permit and also valid Electronic Travel Authorization. I came to India on a one month vacation and due to personal reasons I have to stay here for 3 more months which is 4 months totally.

My question is,
1) How long one can stay outside Canada on work permit? Is there any restriction that one cannot stay more than 4 months? Does one face any issues when returning to Canada if they stay more than 4 months outside?

2) I already have one year Canadian experience and in pool now. After that one year, I came to India and stayed here for 4 months. Does my 4 months experience from India count towards PR in future?

Thank you all in advance.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi all,

I have a Canadian Post graduate open work permit and also valid Electronic Travel Authorization. I came to India on a one month vacation and due to personal reasons I have to stay here for 3 more months which is 4 months totally.

My question is,
1) How long one can stay outside Canada on work permit? Is there any restriction that one cannot stay more than 4 months? Does one face any issues when returning to Canada if they stay more than 4 months outside?

2) I already have one year Canadian experience and in pool now. After that one year, I came to India and stayed here for 4 months. Does my 4 months experience from India count towards PR in future?

1. You can stay as long as you want. You don’t have to come back. Just need valid ETA.
2. It counts as foreign experience.

Reactions: ravikumar390

ravikumar390

Star Member
Jun 19, 2022
1. You can stay as long as you want. You don’t have to come back. Just need valid ETA.
2. It counts as foreign experience.
@Naturgrl - Thank you so much for your quick response. Out of those 4 more months, I have one month vacation and got my pay for that. Does that one month count towards my Canadian experience?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
@Naturgrl - Thank you so much for your quick response. Out of those 4 more months, I have one month vacation and got my pay for that. Does that one month count towards my Canadian experience?
I wouldn’t count it. Vacation is tricky because you are not working nor in the country. Usually vacation is only a couple of weeks so you are lucky to have a month of vacation. You have a year of Canadian experience without the month vacation so just count it as foreign.

coolcham

Jun 12, 2019
Category........
PNP
Hi @Naturgrl , we received our work permit with child visa to go to Canada. I am planning to stay more 4 months where I am now and go to Canada .
is that ok, or is there is any restrictons?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi @Naturgrl , we received our work permit with child visa to go to Canada. I am planning to stay more 4 months where I am now and go to Canada .
is that ok, or is there is any restrictons?
What can be impacted is things like CBB, qualifying to healthcare (each province has different residency requirements that need to be met to qualify for healthcare not just a valid card), etc. It is best to contact CRA so they can determine whether you qualify for certain benefits.

Agree that working from abroad is not considered Canadian experience. You also don’t count holiday time as working hours.

Reactions: coolcham

gm95788

Jun 4, 2020
Hi all,

My question is,

Hello - Did you face any issue in port of entry for staying longer in India ? Any additional questions asked ?

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I have a different question that might be similar to this topic.

My PGWP is expiring by the end of September. I applied for an extension (not by the opt-in system, I used the regular online application process) and I received the WP-EXT letter, although my PGWP is still valid. I also have a valid TRV until October 2024.

I know that if you leave the country while on maintained status, you can come back but you can't work until you get your WP. If I leave and come back while my current PGWP is still valid, can I continue working?