+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How many exams a US CPA needs to pass to be a Canadian CA

panks

Star Member
Mar 5, 2010
Friends,

Could someone plz guide me as to how many exams a US CPA (Colorado) needs to pass to be a Canadian CA.

Which province provide the easiest route for the same?

Regards

soewitas

Feb 21, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Was Buffalo now LA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-2-2009
Doc's Request.
15-4-2009
AOR Received.
1-5-2009
File Transfer...
16-2-2010
Med's Request
22-2-2010
Passport Req..
03-20-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-30-2010
LANDED..........
09-08-2010
CA looks less complex than CGA if you already have professional accounting designation, but you still need to take CARE exam. I believe each province has its own rule (e.g. AB must be at least PR to apply).

ad2310

Jul 2, 2009
The best way to find out is to go to CA's official website. They have a reciprocity rules. I believe you need to take canadian tax exam plus what's called UFE.

ride_thelight

Nov 1, 2009
New York, NY
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
I asked the same question to a representative from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of British Columbia (ICABC).

Here is the info I received:

-Passing the CARE is required. This is the reciprocity exam for CA's / CPA's not from Canada. In addition, your US CPA license should be from a state that also has reciprocity for Canadian CAs by allowing them to take the Iqex exam. The CARE exam is given once a year around late September. A review course and study materials (fee required) are offered for preparation. They are thinking about changing the CARE exam and making it easier! In any case, it should not be a huge hurdle to pass the current CARE exam.

- Easier to get CA if your CPA license is from a US state that has the 150 hour requirement and you got your license under those new regulations.

- experience requirements. They are lenient with this, if you can not get previous employers to sign off on your experience, they will accept an affidavit from you stating your experience and showing related proof like paystubs W-2s, company profile, etc.

All info is available on the ICABC website and also the Chartered Accountants of Ontario website. You can also call them too, they are very helpful.
My understanding is that US CPA is well-respected. There are other countries such as Phillipines that have CPA designation but CPA from countries other than US is not so well-regarded as US-CPA.

You could find employment as a US CPA in Canada and pursue a CA while you are employed.
Feel free to private message me, or email me on gotmozart @ gmail.com

Best of Luck!