+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How many Days can we live out of Canada during PR Status?

ahmadjavedsh

Jan 13, 2016
Can someone confirm about no. of days PR holders can stay out of canada (at stretch) before re-entry to canada for permanent settlement? I just read that maximum of 1095 days can be lived outside canada?
Waiting for feedback.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Can someone confirm about no. of days PR holders can stay out of canada (at stretch) before re-entry to canada for permanent settlement? I just read that maximum of 1095 days can be lived outside canada?
Waiting for feedback.
1095 days within the last 1825 days. That is the limit however and if you are cutting things that close, you are taking a significant risk.

bobARC

Aug 8, 2018
Thanks zardos... I am not cutting things that close of course...
I've heard about people having challenges getting back in Canada if they spent 6~8 months outside. Ask an attorney about this.

Perhaps others on this forum can add to this

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

bobARC

Aug 8, 2018
More of a "heads-up" than a challenge. The legislation is very clear on the Residency Obligations and there is no requirement for an attorney unless you fail to comply with them.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/section-28.html
Thanks for link.

The people I was speaking with told me that PR RO aside, immigration officers can simply 'refuse' entry as you had been away for too long. The case I heard involved someone denied entry into Canada when they tried entering 8 months 3 weeks after initial landing date.

What do you make of this?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks for link.

The people I was speaking with told me that PR RO aside, immigration officers can simply 'refuse' entry as you had been away for too long. The case I heard involved someone denied entry into Canada when they tried entering 8 months 3 weeks after initial landing date.

What do you make of this?
That is not possible, unless they were unable to satisfy the CBSA officer of their identity. A PR, regardless of their compliance with the RO has the RIGHT to enter Canada at the border, (not withstanding a very small number of very serious circumstances, under which the PR is actually arrested at the border, and not just turned away.)

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-5.html#h-17

Right of entry of permanent residents

(2) An officer shall allow a permanent resident to enter Canada if satisfied following an examination on their entry that they have that status.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf Page 46 onwards.

11 Examining permanent residents at ports of entry

Subsection A2(1) defines a permanent resident as
a person who has acquired permanent resident status; and
has not subsequently lost that status under section A46 .​

11.1 Rights of permanent residents

Subsection A27(1) provides that a permanent resident has the right to enter and remain in Canada subject to the provisions of the Act

Last edited: