+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long

Mobish

Dec 10, 2017
Hello guys. I am a refugee claimant from Iran since last month. I wanted to ask you guys if you know how long it takes for me to hear my decision?
I'm really stressed because my lawyer told me that it takes about 2 years, but the officer who interviewed me told me that I will have my hearing at the end of this year.

Mobish

Dec 10, 2017
Likely will be somewhere in between.
Thanks for the reply,
I also have another question. I got a lawyer through legal aid, and we wrote the basis of claim form. However, we didn't add much details to it. Is it gonna be a problem? I mean, we wrote everything from a big image but we didn't go through the details. I'm scared he is not putting effort into the case.

Reactions: 9990

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can't comment on that one. If you are unhappy with your lawyer or feel like you need more time with a lawyer you can go private. Legal aid lawyers are only paid for 8 hours (pretty sure that's right) of work on your case.

captains

Apr 19, 2017
Category........
Thanks for the reply,
I also have another question. I got a lawyer through legal aid, and we wrote the basis of claim form. However, we didn't add much details to it. Is it gonna be a problem? I mean, we wrote everything from a big image but we didn't go through the details. I'm scared he is not putting effort into the case.
You may still add any details until 10 days before your hearing.

Jan 10, 2017
Thanks for the reply,
You can update your BOC anytime up until 10 days before your hearing but I preferred to update now. Same thing happened with me as well, first of all I changed my lawyer and update my BOC with more detail because it is essential that you must explain what happened with you.

Shanwari

Feb 10, 2017
Try to prepare statement of purpose
Put incident detail
Result of that incident
Action on it

Mention the reason of asylum try to explain each and every point which go to your positive decision .
I did prepaid 8 pages and got my hearing decesion in 30 mint , judge said to me he got all information from my purpose of statement.
Thanks

Jan 10, 2017
Try to prepare statement of purpose
Put incident detail
Result of that incident
Action on it

Mention the reason of asylum try to explain each and every point which go to your positive decision .
I did prepaid 8 pages and got my hearing decesion in 30 mint , judge said to me he got all information from my purpose of statement.
Thanks
"Statement of purpose" you add this document separately to your BOC story or you mentioned your purpose in your BOC story?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey, you don’t need to worry about further details. I would suggest prepare another supplementary statement with details you think is necessary and submit that when you get hearing date.

All immigration lawyers are same, they don’t put much effort most of them are just money grab. You better work on your case yourself and don’t rely on your lawyer too much. However, whenever you’re stuck and don’t have clue your lawyer via email/call. I would email because they’re more likely to respond to email.

The won’t care much whether you or loose. He sees cases everyday, and won’t make him a difference. In my personal opinion, if claimant looses case lawyer gonna make more money like appeals and stuff.

So do your research, find weak points in your case and play on your strong points. You will easily win the case. Good luck.
Working in legal aid and doing immigration law in general is definitely not a huge money maker. Legal aid lawyers sometimes receive daily calls or emails from their clients mainly asking if they have heard about their hearing. They are paid for very few hours and if they only responded to questions all day they would never be able to actually prepare cases or attend hearings. Sure there are bad lawyers but legal aid lawyers usually work many more hours than they bill for. Would think people should feel lucky to have taxpayers provide a lawyer for them. In the US most cases fail because people can't afford a lawyer.

Reactions: jddd

Shanwari

Feb 10, 2017
My lawyer even did not speak even single words , did not tell me any documents,
Do your self every thing try think pros and cons of case try to cover up them self

Shanwari

Feb 10, 2017
"Statement of purpose" you add this document separately to your BOC story or you mentioned your purpose in your BOC story?
I prepared it separately and told each and every thing from my birth to arrival in Canada that’s why he did not ask me questions.
Got decsion in 30 mint

Reactions: 9990