+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long will it take?

bunny82

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
I'm Canadian and my fiance is American. Once we are married, roughly how long will it take once we do up all the papers and submit them, for everything to go thru and him being able to come here? When I look at some people's info on here, where it says "filed" and "landed" I see it is taking 10 months for many people. However, I see throughout the forum that it's usually 6 months, sometimes even less (for Americans to come here). I know it's case by case, but just wondering on average what me and my fiance would be looking at for a timeframe. Thanks!

KarlR

Star Member
Oct 18, 2013
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Probably not 6 months.maybe between 8 and 10 months,provided there's no hiccups.

it has more to do with the visa office your application goes to,not weither he's american or not

bunny82

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
Ok thank you. I have seen throughout these forums that it does make a difference if the sponsored person is American, and that they get in quicker. I really hope it could be less than 8-10 months. We were banking on 6 since we have seen that all over the forums, until recently when I noticed some people taking longer for applications.. I am in Nova Scotia and he is in Missouri.

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
bunny82 said:
Ok thank you. I have seen throughout these forums that it does make a difference if the sponsored person is American, and that they get in quicker. I really hope it could be less than 8-10 months. We were banking on 6 since we have seen that all over the forums, until recently when I noticed some people taking longer for applications.. I am in Nova Scotia and he is in Missouri.
We are getting ready to submit ours, and I'm planning on eight, but hoping for six. There was a large backlog of applications from the holidays, but they seem to be moving through that and the pace is picking up some. And last year, people who applied in the late spring-early summer were getting approval fairly quickly. But a lot depends on whether there are backlogs in other offices, etc, where some apps might get moved to Ottawa, and obviously just how many come through period. From my observations, it seems Americans have fewer problems or questions asked, but not necessarily faster processing. Probably the biggest thing you can do to help the process along is to make sure the applications are complete and well organized.

KarlR

Star Member
Oct 18, 2013
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
bunny82 said:

Well it's true in a way,the visa office that Americans applications are sent to is fairly quick,so people generally get the idea that is it to do with,but generally anyone's appliation that is sent there is processed quickly,regardless of what country they come from.
So say an American submits an application and for whatever reason it gets sent to a different countrys visa office,let's say london,it would more than likely get done in the average time along with the other applications there,they wouldn't purposely process it ahead of everyone else's.

Your application will more than likely go to Ottawa,which used to have an average time of six months,however since xmas this has slowed right down (we were discussing in another thread that this is most likely because they are now focused on the express entry visas and have tossed all family class applications aside...for how long?we won't know untill they start approving applications again).
Since xmas,there has been hardly any ottawa applicants on this forum who have been approved (two that I know of).so most of the June/July applicants are still waiting...unfortunatly it will be difficult to come up with an average time untill they start approving again :(

I would just advise not to try and bank on six months...not trying to be negative,but that's what I did (as were acceptable average timeframes when I applied) and have ended up disappointed as they have just slowed right down..

jamsham12

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/19/2015
AOR Received.
03/16/2015
File Transfer...
04/21/2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 08/06/2015 DM: 10/31/2015
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2015
LANDED..........
12/30/2015
Problem is ottawa is so slow, they are still processing July applicants........

bunny82

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
Ok thanks for letting me know. This is really crappy news... I didn't realize. Would my application automatically go thru Ottawa? Is there any way to submit them to a different place for faster processing?

bunny82

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
Was wondering if someone could answer that last question from last month. Was curious if my application (I am in Nova Scotia and fiance is in Missouri USA) would automatically go thru Ottawa and if there is a way I can choose which which place it goes thru? Also has anyone heard any updates on if things are moving quicker there or in other offices here in Canada? I'm really wondering what me and my fiance will be looking at for processing time from applying to him getting PR (we are getting married in June and hoping to have all papers in by July).

Celandrius

Star Member
Apr 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 11th. 2014
AOR Received.
SA- August, 28th, 2014
File Transfer...
August 28th, 2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
April 23rd, 2015
LANDED..........
April 28th, 2015
It would probably go through Ottawa, unless they decided to keep it at Mississauga. It's rare for them to do that though. Ottawa (I'm a July 2014 applicant myself) is roughly 8-10 months at the moment. If you are lucky it could be 6 months though, that would mean no hitches in your paperwork. SA happens in about a month or so, then it's literally waiting for the most part before they process it. (They started processing mine March 31st.) After that point your guess could be as good as anyones how long it would take. On average from IP-DM I think it's like a few weeks, max a couple months. I would suggest, since he is American, you definitely do OUTLAND though, since INLAND takes 2 years+. Sure you get an OWP after like... 4 months I think? That was just a bit too long for my husband and I. (I'm also American.)
I wish you lots of luck, it's worth the wait. It takes awhile, but tons of people are waiting too, so you'll have tons of support!

EDIT:
I should also point out, that if you wanted to travel after he got his COPR and landed, you'd have to wait for your PR card (that is a whole other ballgame of waiting. It's something like 4-9 months? It's crazy.) unless you plan to go to the states by car. Unless you filed for a PR travel document, and I am NOT sure how to do that.

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
bunny82 said:
Was wondering if someone could answer that last question from last month. Was curious if my application (I am in Nova Scotia and fiance is in Missouri USA) would automatically go thru Ottawa and if there is a way I can choose which which place it goes thru? Also has anyone heard any updates on if things are moving quicker there or in other offices here in Canada? I'm really wondering what me and my fiance will be looking at for processing time from applying to him getting PR (we are getting married in June and hoping to have all papers in by July).
Just to be clear, no you cannot pick the visa office. It seems to be picking up a bit, but consider yourself lucky if it's any faster than 8 months total time at the current rate of processing. It's unfortunate, but we are all going through the same thing.

bunny82

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
Thank you all for your answers. Yes, we are all going thru the waiting game, and it does suck. It's just that I'm in a bit of a predicament because I am living with a disability and unable to work so waiting for my husband to come will be even a little worse, as we really need to be together not just because we need each other and want to spend our lives together, but for this reason too. I need his income and his help. Oh well I guess nothing can be done about it. I will bank on 10 months, although previously I was thinking 6-8. I hope it won't go beyond 10 months as I see some people who are still waiting over a year later. It's very sad. We will do our best to make sure our papers are in order and that nothing is forgotten and just cross our fingers.

gsize

May 2, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009....denied Feb 2010.....appeal allowed (August 2012)..waiting for processing
Doc's Request.
04/04/2013
File Transfer...
30/01/2013
Med's Done....
04/2013 (second time)
Passport Req..
21/02, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
18/03/2014
LANDED..........
05/04/2014
bunny82 said:
Thank you all for your answers. Yes, we are all going thru the waiting game, and it does suck. It's just that I'm in a bit of a predicament because I am living with a disability and unable to work so waiting for my husband to come will be even a little worse, as we really need to be together not just because we need each other and want to spend our lives together, but for this reason too. I need his income and his help. Oh well I guess nothing can be done about it. I will bank on 10 months, although previously I was thinking 6-8. I hope it won't go beyond 10 months as I see some people who are still waiting over a year later. It's very sad. We will do our best to make sure our papers are in order and that nothing is forgotten and just cross our fingers.
its best to have a plan B when you are dealing with immigration. Best wishes !