+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long will it take to get PR for spouse if I get married after getting COPR?

nehailan

Jul 2, 2017
Hi,
I have received my COPR.
I am supposed to complete landing before Nov 20, 2019.
But if I get married before landing and notify CIC of my marital status change, I am aware that my application will again go to 'in progress' and I will be asked to submit documents for my spouse and the marriage certificate.
Once I submit all the documents, how long will it take to get COPR for both me and my spouse?
I need to know the approximate duration, weeks or months? and maximum how long could it be?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
1. You must land and be in Canada, and then you can apply to sponsor a spouse. It takes about twelve months. You cannot get PR, return to be with your spouse, and wait there with them. It is very difficult for a spouse to get a tourist visa to Canada to visit a PR.

2. You must not be married or common-law married without informing IRCC. If you are common-law married (living together for more than twelve months) and do not notify IRCC, you will be prohibited from sponsoring your spouse.

nehailan

Jul 2, 2017
Thanks for the reply.
I want to get married before landing and I will definitely inform IRCC.
1) I am asking what would be the duration it will take for both of us to get the COPR?
And in this scenario, will my spouse
2) have to write the IELTS exam?
3) Will he be asked to do a WES transcript of his educational degree document?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You don't need two threads for your questions, do you? I don't know how long the amendment to your PR processes will take. Sorry. I assume it will take some time, as your spouse will be required to do medicals and the like.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the reply.
I want to get married before landing and I will definitely inform IRCC.
1) I am asking what would be the duration it will take for both of us to get the COPR?
And in this scenario, will my spouse
2) have to write the IELTS exam?
3) Will he be asked to do a WES transcript of his educational degree document?
1. Expect about 4 months to add your spouse, possibly longer.

2. No.

3. No.