+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long will it likely take to get my PRTD? I am in China.

May 15, 2023
Long story short, I was stuck abroad for a few years due to both COVID lockdowns and health complications. Now that I want to get back to Canada, my PR is expired. I applied sometime in March 2023 with no responses!? I am waiting to receive a notification requesting for me to give them my passport/expired PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Long story short, I was stuck abroad for a few years due to both COVID lockdowns and health complications. Now that I want to get back to Canada, my PR is expired. I applied sometime in March 2023 with no responses!? I am waiting to receive a notification requesting for me to give them my passport/expired PR.
Do you still meet the residency requirements as of the day you applied for the PRTD?

maja22

Star Member
Nov 15, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2010
AOR Received.
26-01-2011
File Transfer...
07-01-2011
Med's Done....
17-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2011
LANDED..........
28-05-2011
Hi applied online for PRTD on May 30th, 2023. I am checking my Permanent resident portal everyday, but I see the same message. That it is submitted and under Return reason column - "Primary identification is not provided" . What does it mean? I have not received an email confirmation from IRCC. I know that it is maybe too early, but did anyone have same? I am worried that it was not accepted for some reason. How long will it take for them to issue PRTD. I am planning to travel in July.

maja22

Star Member
Nov 15, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2010
AOR Received.
26-01-2011
File Transfer...
07-01-2011
Med's Done....
17-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2011
LANDED..........
28-05-2011
Have you heard back at all? We applied for PRTD from China in April but have heard nothing so far
Hi, Does it usually take that long to get PRTD? I applied May 30th, and was hoping to travel to Canada in July. So I guess I am day dreaming :)

luckysomething

Sep 4, 2016
My wife applied for a PRTD in China back in February. She's still waiting for a decision/PPR.

According to her GCMS notes, her file was transferred to the Beijing VO for RO assessment back in March. Her eligibility assessment is still "Not Started" as of May, when the notes were generated. I should note she's a month short of meeting her RO in terms of physical presence in Canada, but since I'm a Canadian and we lived together abroad long enough to make up for those days, she had claimed that time on her application (with proof). That may be contributing to why it's taking so long, but the notes seem to indicate nobody has picked up the file after it was transferred, so I'm not sure.

We had booked a flight for July several months ago with the thought this would only take a couple months at most, but it's starting to look like we'll need to cancel it at this rate.

frog9800

May 22, 2023
My wife applied for a PRTD in China back in February. She's still waiting for a decision/PPR.

According to her GCMS notes, her file was transferred to the Beijing VO for RO assessment back in March. Her eligibility assessment is still "Not Started" as of May, when the notes were generated. I should note she's a month short of meeting her RO in terms of physical presence in Canada, but since I'm a Canadian and we lived together abroad long enough to make up for those days, she had claimed that time on her application (with proof). That may be contributing to why it's taking so long, but the notes seem to indicate nobody has picked up the file after it was transferred, so I'm not sure.

We had booked a flight for July several months ago with the thought this would only take a couple months at most, but it's starting to look like we'll need to cancel it at this rate.
Oh wow that’s terrible, I’m sorry! I hope you hear back soon!

luckysomething

Sep 4, 2016

Just an update on my wife's situation; she's finally received PPR yesterday, so roughly 6 months processing.

My wife has been following other people's PRTD timelines in China on Xiaohongshu. She noticed that this is how long it typically takes if your application is complete and you meet the RO, but you did so by accompanying a Canadian or PR spouse abroad. That factor means your application will be transferred to the Beijing visa office and they appear severely backlogged at the moment.