+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how long will i have to wait to become Canadian Citizen

jss117

Star Member
May 14, 2014
I came to Canada in MAY 2008.
Got my work permit in May 2011
and I got my PR on Jan 6, 2015.

I would like to know that how much longer do I have to stay in Canada to apply for citizenship.
I have heard that some of the time spent in Canada as temporary worker before becoming PR also counts toward citizenship requirement time.
Please advice me to give me best possible estimate of remaining time to become Citizen.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
jss117 said:

I would like to know that how much longer do I have to stay in Canada to apply for citizenship.
I have heard that some of the time spent in Canada as temporary worker before becoming PR also counts toward citizenship requirement time.
Please advice me to give me best possible estimate of remaining time to become Citizen.
4 yrs from jan 6 2015. None of ur time before PR counts.

jss117

Star Member
May 14, 2014
boltz said:
4 yrs from jan 6 2015. None of ur time before PR counts.
each day you lived in Canada before you became a permanent resident counts as half a day;
Source: https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do?&lang=en

eltorpe

Star Member
Jan 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jss117 said:

Under the old rules, you would be eligible on Jan 6, 2017 (assuming you have not travelled overseas in the past 2 years).

However, under the new rules which will come into force later this year, you need 4 years of physical residency in Canada in the past 6 years. Under the new rules, the time before you became a PR does NOT count. So, the earliest you would be able to apply is Jan 6, 2019.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jss117 said:
each day you lived in Canada before you became a permanent resident counts as half a day;
They will change that this year, but nobody knows exactly when, so you can hold your Canadian passport at the beginning of 2020 if you don't travel outside Canada.

So if we include the processing time than you will be Canadian in just 5 years time from this point.

eltorpe

Star Member
Jan 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jss117 said:
Please see http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?crtr.sj1D=&crtr.mnthndVl=12&mthd=advSrch&crtr.dpt1D=6664&nid=863489&crtr.lc1D=&crtr.tp1D=930&crtr.yrStrtVl=2008&crtr.kw=&crtr.dyStrtVl=1&crtr.aud1D=&crtr.mnthStrtVl=1&crtr.page=2&crtr.yrndVl=2014&crtr.dyndVl=31

Before:
Residence for three out of four years (1,095 days);
No requirement that resident be physically present;
Time as a non-permanent resident (non-PR) may be counted toward residence for citizenship;
No intent to reside provision

After:
Requires physical presence for four years (1,460 days) out of the six years;
183 days minimum of physical presence per year in four out of six years;
Eliminates use of time spent in Canada as a non-permanent resident (non-PR);
Introduces “intent to reside” provision

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the trip is only for couple of hours, no

If it is more than a day, yes

MissMia

Jan 13, 2015
The new citizenship regulation will start June 19th 2015.

If you are in Canada and elsewhere during the same day, it doesn't count, because you were in Canada on that day.