+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how long takes to get a credential id of PR portal after you're approved for PR?

phoenix232

Apr 3, 2015
I could link the PR card application as soon as I could download eCOPR.
I received COPR on January 25th btw and today it showed that they had mailed it.
Figured it out and linked the app

the question they ask "city/town of birth" , I was only entering the city but there was town as well , lol ... confirmed from tracker,

Reactions: nve

Esselte

Star Member
Sep 14, 2023
Do I understand correctly that this process applies for Inland applicants only or is it for both inland and outland? I'm confused.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The PR portal emails, credentials, and all this jazz. I'm not sure when it happens and where it fits in.
If an outland applicant is IN Canada, then yes, all of the above can apply. It's basically the mechanism to 'land' the applicants already in Canada. In lieu of the passport request procedure at visa offices abroad.

Note that the applicant has to change address / advise IRCC and sometimes this doesn't catch up in IRCC files, so some in Canada may get passport requests, and they have to respond to 'switch' it to the virtual landing procedure.

Reactions: Esselte and YVR123

Esselte

Star Member
Sep 14, 2023
If an outland applicant is IN Canada, then yes, all of the above can apply. It's basically the mechanism to 'land' the applicants already in Canada. In lieu of the passport request procedure at visa offices abroad.

Note that the applicant has to change address / advise IRCC and sometimes this doesn't catch up in IRCC files, so some in Canada may get passport requests, and they have to respond to 'switch' it to the virtual landing procedure.
Oh ok, that makes sense now. Thank you for clarifying! Now I understand that when the passport request procedure takes place abroad then none of this applies and the standard boarder crossing landing has to take place before the COPR expires to "activate" the PR.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Oh ok, that makes sense now. Thank you for clarifying! Now I understand that when the passport request procedure takes place abroad then none of this applies and the standard boarder crossing landing has to take place before the COPR expires to "activate" the PR.
Correct.

Reactions: Esselte

Esselte

Star Member
Sep 14, 2023

I actually have one more question.

My passport is from a country that does not require visa, I travelled to Canada using eTA.

Before we applied for PR I renewed my passport and didn't apply for new eTA. I did not travel to Canada during the application process because I was worried that I can be returned due to dual intent and I didn't want to risk that.

So, now when I'll plan to travel to Canada to finalize my PR should I apply for new eTA or can I travel based on COPR? Do airlines accept COPR?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So, now when I'll plan to travel to Canada to finalize my PR should I apply for new eTA or can I travel based on COPR? Do airlines accept COPR?
I believe you should apply for new ETA or confirm that your old ETA is still valid despite renewing passport. I dont know how it works but you can check through the ETA website (I think there is a way to check if old ETA still valid). If your old passport expired though probably means a new one is needed.

Esselte

Star Member
Sep 14, 2023
I believe you should apply for new ETA or confirm that your old ETA is still valid despite renewing passport. I dont know how it works but you can check through the ETA website (I think there is a way to check if old ETA still valid). If your old passport expired though probably means a new one is needed.
I will get that that checked. As far as I remember eTA is linked directly to the passport number, so when passport changes eTA expires even though it's actual validity date hasn't expired yet.

I was curious whether COPR serves as a valid temporary travel authorization (visa/eTA in a way) along with the valid passport.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I will get that that checked. As far as I remember eTA is linked directly to the passport number, so when passport changes eTA expires even though it's actual validity date hasn't expired yet.
I thought ETA validity was made max to validity of passport, but of course you might have replaced passport before. So short answer, I guess you need a new one, but the systme will tell you.

I was curious whether COPR serves as a valid temporary travel authorization (visa/eTA in a way) along with the valid passport.
No, it does not. (It says in big letters "this is not a travel document" meaning passport + visa or equivalent needed.)

Esselte

Star Member
Sep 14, 2023
I thought ETA validity was made max to validity of passport, but of course you might have replaced passport before. So short answer, I guess you need a new one, but the systme will tell you.

No, it does not. (It says in big letters "this is not a travel document" meaning passport + visa or equivalent needed.)
Oh ok, makes it super clear now :)) I'm in the process of submitting documents to the VO, so I haven't seen the actual document yet (just the COPR number in my GCKey and tracker). I'm as usual trying to gather a bit of intel in advance.

Many thanks for your help! I do appreciate your support!

You're right, my old passport and ETA didn't expire. I renewed passport before applying for PR because I decided to change my last name after getting married. I'll get the ETA sorted, no problem.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured

Abif500

Jan 12, 2024
Hello,

Did anyone get an update with the link after receiving P1 email in December? Please share
I received P1 on the 19th of December and replied on the same day, no update after that, my TR is due to expire next month.

Juan Diaz

Oct 17, 2023
Hello, does anyone know how I can send emails to VO Montreal? I have been waiting 4 months since I uploaded my photos. The waiting time is very long, I have called IRCC and they tell me that I have to wait. It is unbelievable that it takes 4 months just to accept or reject the photos! If they don't accept them I have to wait another 4 months, maybe more or maybe less. Unbelievable.

phoenix232

Apr 3, 2015
Hello, does anyone know how I can send emails to VO Montreal? I have been waiting 4 months since I uploaded my photos. The waiting time is very long, I have called IRCC and they tell me that I have to wait. It is unbelievable that it takes 4 months just to accept or reject the photos! If they don't accept them I have to wait another 4 months, maybe more or maybe less. Unbelievable.
I think this is the email for Montreal Vo, we got P1 email from them. You can email them about your application and also if you haven't so, request for ATIP notes.

IRCC.ClientPortalEast-EstClientPortail.IRCC@cic.gc.ca