+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long must a foreigner stay out of Canada to be be able to come back as a visitor?

Mintachip

Mar 10, 2022
My British partner, who has been in Ontario since December 2021, wants to take me back to the UK in May for a month before returning back to Canada as a visitor. I know he is allowed to stay for 6 months as a visitor (and will have only stayed for 5), but is there a certain amount of time he must be out of Canada for before being able to come back and reset the 6 months? He has a valid eta that will not be expiring anytime soon. We initially wanted to extend his stay this time around, but we wanted to travel which I believe is not allowed with an visitor record (please correct me if I’m wrong! we will apply for extension asap if so).

Also, when I return from the UK, I’d like him to attend my university convocation mid-June, but I’m worried he won’t be able to make it if he’s not out of the country long enough. I apologize if this is something I’m overthinking, but I don’t want to risk my partner being denied entry. Any help is appreciated!

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
My British partner, who has been in Ontario since December 2021, wants to take me back to the UK in May for a month before returning back to Canada as a visitor. I know he is allowed to stay for 6 months as a visitor (and will have only stayed for 5), but is there a certain amount of time he must be out of Canada for before being able to come back and reset the 6 months? He has a valid eta that will not be expiring anytime soon. We initially wanted to extend his stay this time around, but we wanted to travel which I believe is not allowed with an visitor record (please correct me if I’m wrong! we will apply for extension asap if so).

Also, when I return from the UK, I’d like him to attend my university convocation mid-June, but I’m worried he won’t be able to make it if he’s not out of the country long enough. I apologize if this is something I’m overthinking, but I don’t want to risk my partner being denied entry. Any help is appreciated!
There is no minimum amount, theoretically it can be one day and when you come back you get another 6 months. People will recommend you be away as long as you stayed so it doesn’t look like they are living here.
Any time you leave the country and are coming back in you run the risk of being refused entry if they feel you will not honor your visa conditions. Mainly planning on living here or working here basically not being a genuine tourist/visitor.
So no one can tell you if your partner will be denied it will all depend on their ties back home. Do they have a job? Property? How can they stay almost a year in Canada without working?
Depending on how critical it is for your partner to be here for your grad in my opinion I think the lowest risk would be to apply for an extension closer to when his time is up. During the time your partners extension is being processed they will have implied status and can stay in the Country and attend your grad. They wouldn’t be able to leave to travel though, once you leave your current stay is no longer valid and you will be judged the next time you try to enter.

Last edited: