+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long it takes to get first PR card and SIN from landing Day?

GirlOntario

Star Member
Aug 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How many days one should estimate to get PR card in mail on Canadian address after he/she lands?
Please answer.
Will it be worth if I have a rental room in Calgary for 2-3 months (I will just rent it to get mails ) and I will immediately come back to US ( If I am on very important project with my company) after landing and SIN application (like one did in Toronto who rented care in Detroit)? I mean then my landlord/friends will send both mails (SIN card and PR card) at my United States address.
Has anybody experienced the typical time for SIN card at Calgary Office? and Anybody knows that how much time First PR Card will take to arrive in mail? I am asking because I want to know that how much time I should commit to landlord for renting. If both (SIN card and PR Card) can arrive within 3 months then I can sign or verbally commit a room for 3 months.

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
According to CIC website PR card takes 61 days...
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#pr_card

SIN card 10-15 business days
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/sinstatus.shtml

I hope this helps

poppyjml

Star Member
Nov 1, 2008
I arrived here last Sept. 26, applied for SIN on the 28th. I got my SIN the week after. I can't remember exact number of days, but it was between 7-10. I still haven't received my PR card as of today.

Aug 8, 2009
Can you please help me very quick?

I don't have an address when I am landing in Toronto so that I am going to use my friend's house, where is in Brampton, the suburban of Toronto, for PR and SIN card to be mailed. Can I apply SIN card in Service Canada Centre in Toronto? I mean Service Canada Centre located in Toronto accepts my SIN card application whose address in Brampton, or do I need to go to the Centre in Brampton?

Thank you very much for your quick response. I am planning to arrange the paperwork and need to know the detailed instruction due to the short stay in Toronto.

Best regards,

kpit_2009

Oct 27, 2009
Landed Date: 12th Oct
Landed at : Toronto
PR Card Received Date: Not received yet

Immigration Officer at Airport told us: (will get PR Card within 30 days)
CIC call center told us: (will take 60 days to get PR Card)

SIN Applied: 13th Oct
SIN Received: 20th Oct

did any one get PR Card recently?

Please update your PR Card Timeline

Aug 8, 2009
Hello,

I have landed in Canada this week. The timeline is as follows.

Landed in: Toronto, October 27th, 2009

It took me 1 hour to get out from the airport by doing all, including passport control, PR card, custom clearance, pick-up luggage. Actually it took me more at the Miami International Airport in US, where I stopped by. I think all I need to receive the cards is patience. In the meantime, the passport and the record of landing will help to do paperworks.

Passport control: No waiting. I was guided to the Immigration Section behind.
PR Card: No waiting. The agent did not check the fund, only asked how much. 6-8 weeks to my address.
Custom: I showed a piece of paper of my items. The agent filled out a small green form and gave it to me.

SIN card at Service Canada at the New City Hall: It took me 15 minutes. 4-5 weeks to my address.
Driver license exchange from US at Service Ontario at Bay Street: It took me about 1 hour including waiting. 4-6 weeks to my address.
OHIP: I have not done yet, since I will be back in again a few months later. Bank statement or utility bill is necessary, and if away from Canada for more than 6 months, it will be gone.

All these items were carried out only in 1 business day, at which I was surprised. If you are planning to land in Canada quick then move back to your home country or somewhere else to deal with your business, this might help you see how things would go once landing.

I went to the YMCA Newcomer Information Centre for the orientation which has helped me a lot. PC access, referrals, seminars, etc. are available for us.

This Forum has helped me very much as well while I have been on the Skilled Worker application for 3 years. I appreciate you all for your input and information. I once have given up the process due to the difficulty to collect documents, but have made it. I feel very well.

I truly wish good luck for all those who are on process.

Best regards,

Tak

kpit_2009

Oct 27, 2009
did any one receive PR Card?

Current Processing Time for PR Card - 36 days

These processing times include a 10–day mailing period.

Is 36 days includes week-end or only weekday(Mon-Fri)?

nix1

Nov 16, 2008
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
4771 said:
Hello,

I have landed in Canada this week. The timeline is as follows.

Landed in: Toronto, October 27th, 2009

It took me 1 hour to get out from the airport by doing all, including passport control, PR card, custom clearance, pick-up luggage. Actually it took me more at the Miami International Airport in US, where I stopped by. I think all I need to receive the cards is patience. In the meantime, the passport and the record of landing will help to do paperworks.

Passport control: No waiting. I was guided to the Immigration Section behind.
PR Card: No waiting. The agent did not check the fund, only asked how much. 6-8 weeks to my address.
Custom: I showed a piece of paper of my items. The agent filled out a small green form and gave it to me.

SIN card at Service Canada at the New City Hall: It took me 15 minutes. 4-5 weeks to my address.
Driver license exchange from US at Service Ontario at Bay Street: It took me about 1 hour including waiting. 4-6 weeks to my address.
OHIP: I have not done yet, since I will be back in again a few months later. Bank statement or utility bill is necessary, and if away from Canada for more than 6 months, it will be gone.

All these items were carried out only in 1 business day, at which I was surprised. If you are planning to land in Canada quick then move back to your home country or somewhere else to deal with your business, this might help you see how things would go once landing.

I went to the YMCA Newcomer Information Centre for the orientation which has helped me a lot. PC access, referrals, seminars, etc. are available for us.

This Forum has helped me very much as well while I have been on the Skilled Worker application for 3 years. I appreciate you all for your input and information. I once have given up the process due to the difficulty to collect documents, but have made it. I feel very well.

I truly wish good luck for all those who are on process.

Best regards,

Tak
Congratulations!

You said, "Driver license exchange from US at Service Ontario at Bay Street: It took me about 1 hour including waiting. 4-6 weeks to my address"

Did they keep your US license OR give it back to you? If they gave you back, you are going to have two license in a month or so (one from US and one from Canada). Is it legal to have driver licenses from two countries at the same time? I assume it is, but just wanted to know if anybody knows the law?

JPMC

Aug 27, 2009
you could get SIN on the same day you go to Service Canada. Only the card takes a week to arrive. All that matters is the number.
PR card took 65 days for me.
Don't forget to get your US driving history. The length of the US driving history matters Alberta.

nix1

Nov 16, 2008
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JPMC said:
you could get SIN on the same day you go to Service Canada. Only the card takes a week to arrive. All that matters is the number.
Don't forget to get your US driving history. The length of the US driving history matters Alberta.
65 days to get to your Canadian address OR the US address sent by your friend or family?

I have no idea how one gets US driving history, but the license I am currently using has an issue date of 2001. Does that enough to get an Alberta license?

poppyjml

Star Member
Nov 1, 2008
For the driver's license, they don't return the US DL anymore. I brought my US driving history, but they never did check it.

GirlOntario

Star Member
Aug 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
poppyjml said:
For the driver's license, they don't return the US DL anymore. I brought my US driving history, but they never did check it.
Popyjml:
I think you can drive with US DL till 6 months or something right? Correct me if I am wrong. Also tell something about Alberta, I think you have landed. What type of people are living in Edmonton/Calgary etc. How friendly people are? How is the overall infrastructure? Cost of living, socio-economic status of average settled immigrant/Native and Quality of Nightlife etc (I know that IT professionals limit themselves to Bollywood movies, Chicken wings, Jack Daniels liquor and Patel Brothers' grocery:))) but as much as you can tell about Albertans and life there?

poppyjml

Star Member
Nov 1, 2008
just an addition, I just got my PR card this wed, nov.11. I landed sept 26. so around 1 month and 16 days for me.
for driving using US DL, I'm not really sure, because I swapped my US DL for Alberta DL. but I heard you can drive using US DL for some time. i'm just now sure about the exact no. of months.

as for the type of people, overall infrastructure, nightlife and others, I'm only starting to go out more just this month. when i stil didn't have a job, i usually just stay at my family friend's home so that i won't spend so much hehe.

the cost of living though as compared to where i stayed in the us (ohio) is much higher! take note though that they said it's really cheaper in ohio. in ohio, i was able to rent a townhouse with 1 bedroom for 540! and the location is nice because i'm across a grocery, close to restaurants and the library is just walking distance. here, a 1 bedroom in a fairly ok neigborhood in edmonton will cost you an average of 700-850.

hope that gives some of you an idea.

Abhi2285

Mar 7, 2017
Hello,

My wife & I got Canada Visa (Saskatchewan Province) which is expiring in July 2017.

We can’t go there for long term as of now.

Question 1 - > Can we both go there for 1-2 weeks, apply for PR and provide a local address and come back?

Question 2 - > Once PR Card arrives; can our friend courier us?

Question 3 - > Then we can go to Canada later whenever we want to with that PR card?

Are the above options possible and legal?

Regards,
Abhishek

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
JPMC said:
I don't think they send out SIN cards anymore. Its just a letter with your number on it

Abhi2285 said:
Hello,

My wife & I got Canada Visa (Saskatchewan Province) which is expiring in July 2017.

We can’t go there for long term as of now.

Question 1 - > Can we both go there for 1-2 weeks, apply for PR and provide a local address and come back?

Question 2 - > Once PR Card arrives; can our friend courier us?

Question 3 - > Then we can go to Canada later whenever we want to with that PR card?

Are the above options possible and legal?

Regards,
Abhishek
Yes
Yes
Yes, as long as PR card is valid and remember PR obligation is to live in Canada 2 years out of 5 years