+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long is an FBI background check good for?

Smarties17

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
Had my background check done through an FBI channeler back on Jan 19th, 2019 in anticipation of submitting our application shortly after we were married. Not realizing Manitoba's Vital Stats office was massively behind in processing marriage certificates (we got married on Feb 8, 2019 in MB), so now its looking like we'll get our marriage certificate back either last week of April - first week of May.

Should I have my background check done again before we submit our app? or are my results still valid?

Smarties17

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
I should note that searching the FAQ section on IRCC website takes me to:

How long is my police certificate good for?
How long your police certificate is good for depends on what immigration program you are applying to.

Check the instruction guide to find out when your police certificate needs to be issued.

Clicking through the link to the instruction guide lands me in the complete application guide which (unless I missed it), does not indicate how long the results are good for.

Sorry if this is a dumb question guys/gals

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
I should note that searching the FAQ section on IRCC website takes me to:

How long is my police certificate good for?
How long your police certificate is good for depends on what immigration program you are applying to.

Check the instruction guide to find out when your police certificate needs to be issued.

Clicking through the link to the instruction guide lands me in the complete application guide which (unless I missed it), does not indicate how long the results are good for.

Sorry if this is a dumb question guys/gals
Normally it is valid for 6 months after it is issued and if you still reside in the place where it is issued.