+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long in CA before apply for new PR

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
I have been away from Canada (accompanying citizen spouse overseas) for about six years, after living in CA for two. My PR card is obviously expired. If I travel back to CA (either with a travel doc or by land), can I apply for a PR card while on vacation in CA, or do I have to have established residency again? Optimally, I'd like to travel back for about thee weeks, apply for the card, and have familiarly mail it to me.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You can apply while you are in Canada. However, you will need to state in the app that you are residing outside of Canada. There is the possibility that IRCC will require you to pick up your card in person instead of mailing it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Tubsmagee said:
Where would this be stated? I don't see a question about it, just address in Canada.
It asks for your address history. You need to list your present address outside of Canada.

wlee62

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
BUF
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2011
AOR Received.
17-09-2011
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
19-01-2012
Med's Request
17-09-2011
Med's Done....
28-09-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2012
LANDED..........
09-04-2012
I'm in the same situation. I should have read this thread first, my bad.

I'm planning to fly back to apply, but do I need to provide any additional documentation to say why I want my card, if my residential address is in the US? Can I have it mailed to a Canadian address (mailing address)? I don't mind picking it up, just want to figure out what's the best way to apply. Thank you!

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
wlee62 said:
I'm in the same situation. I should have read this thread first, my bad.

I'm planning to fly back to apply, but do I need to provide any additional documentation to say why I want my card, if my residential address is in the US? Can I have it mailed to a Canadian address (mailing address)? I don't mind picking it up, just want to figure out what's the best way to apply. Thank you!
I was planning on using my inlaws, where I will be staying when I visit... and then getting them to express it to me. Not sure what else they could ask for. Hopefully don't need to pick it up, as I am in Asia.

Please let us know how it works for you.