+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long for "approval in principal" for permanent residency application/OHIP?

jorgus1710

Star Member
Jul 22, 2015
Hey all, Thankfully my wife has received her OWP, not long ago after sending out our PR application for "inland spousal sponsorship" to CIC.

Since were now waiting, and it's been saying "application received" & "in process" on our CIC page for the sponsorship application, Id like to now get OHIP for my wife. On OHIPs website its says the following:
Eligible for OHIP if:
"you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and
Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for
permanent residence in Canada
"

So clearly we are eligible, however both service Ontario and OHIP services told us that we'd be eligible when the "letter of approval in principle for permanent residency" is sent out to us by mail from CIC. Now here lies my question, do any of you lovely folk know how long (roughly) it takes to receive this "letter of approval" after CIC has begun processing the application? We already received our Open work permit and our application began "processing" on Feb.22nd /2016

PS. The receipt, and emails from CIC do not count as proof of eligibility for OHIP.

Thanks, Any help would be greatly appreciated
J.S

dominokitty

Mar 19, 2014
Canada - Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2015
AOR Received.
12-12-2015
Med's Request
16-05-2016
Med's Done....
upfront, then again on 25-05-2016
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
30-06-2016 - Calgary
It will likely take some time still. We sent our application out back in September and just received approval in principle a week ago. You're basically waiting until you pass first stage approval - which can take up to 16 months but seems to be moving a bit faster this year.

In the meantime, I suggest purchasing some travel medical insurance for her. It's not too expensive and will definitely ease your mind. Another option would be to call your credit card company and see what their options are.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
to clarify your original message. as CIC is stated, the applicant is NOT eligible for OHIP yet. Submitting an application does not give the applicant eligibility for OHIP. They won't be eligible until you receive the AIP letter (as domino suggested above it is currently taking ~ 16 mo. - maybe a bit faster, but not much).

You may be able to try again when the applicant receives the OWP. According to the website, if a person is on an OWP and can prove employment for at least 6mo on that OWP, they are eligible for OHIP. People with the spousal sponsorship OWP have run into issues because of the "case 27" written on the OWP, and have been rejected for OHIP. However, there is at least 1 person who was able to get it. The trick is to make sure the employment letter has the information written exactly as CIC wants it.

aswoodburn

Apr 1, 2017
How long did it take to get her OWP after you submitted your PR app? Sorry, I know this isn't really relevant to the original topic.

Preetvir

Nov 4, 2017
It takes 3 months maximum.
Hello,
I have some concerns in regards to my situation.
I am a bc pnp nominee and my federal file (NON EXPRESS ENTRY) has been submitted and i have been already been asked to submit landing fees. My work permit expired on sep. 2017 and i applied one month ahead of expiration however it got rejected as i missed paying $100.00 fees.
I got migration consultant to ile restoration application where he made me pay $200.00 (restoration application)+ $155.00 (work permit application) +$100.00 ((open work permit fees)
My work permit before was open work permit and had no restrictions on my permit or nomination certificate.

Do u think my lawyer has done right thing as lately i am hearing about this compliance fees. Kindly help any type of suggestions/input are helpful as very stressed right now and dont know what to do