+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does security clearances take?

Lily2011

May 6, 2014
I took the test and passed in Jan 2015. I recieved an RQ in April and returned it May. Called CIC to check on my application in Oct and I was told "documents are still getting verified".

Called again last week and now they say "a note last month says: 2 security clearances came back and the last one still pending"

How much longer? is the decision made and they are only waiting on the clearances (if the clearance is ready I get an invitation automatically) or they still need to review it (yet again) for a decision?

How long do clearances take to finish?

thx

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
What documents you submitted in response to RQ? what does it mean two clearnaces came back as what approved?

Lily2011

May 6, 2014
The agent said that we passed two clearances and the third is still pending. I asked what what the third and she said it is CSIS clearance.

I went back to our ATIP reports and that clearance had no result in the report either compared to the other two (both had the word "passed". There was a note to request it and it says that it was, but no result in 2014.

The documents were only bank statements, health records, and passports. The usual.

Any idea what is this CSIS clearance is about? Google says it is Canadian Security Intelligence Services.
Is there anything that can be done? was it pending since it was requested in 2014 or did they just whiteout the result? Any guesses are appreciated.

Loriboo

Star Member
Sep 25, 2015
They told me the same thing, I think they have been using the security clearances/security check as an excuse.. I passed the cic exam/test 6 months ago, I have not received anything from them, no QR, no fingerprint, it is a normal application and it is still in process, I used to call them before and I had the common answer, the process and time have not passed yet, so after 6 months I have been calling him, everything time they give me a different answer, sometimes they tell me, they have the result of the security clearances, now it is a matter of time for a citizenship judge to make a decision. Sometimes they tell me they have a date line, March 31st, I will hear from them before March 31st, sometimes they tell me your file is good, just be patient.. blabla..

Loriboo

Star Member
Sep 25, 2015
My online status (Ecas) just changed from in process to Decision made... Does it mean anything?

Lily2011

May 6, 2014
Loriboo said:
They told me the same thing, I think they have been using the security clearances/security check as an excuse.. I passed the cic exam/test 6 months ago, I have not received anything from them, no QR, no fingerprint, it is a normal application and it is still in process, I used to call them before and I had the common answer, the process and time have not passed yet, so after 6 months I have been calling him, everything time they give me a different answer, sometimes they tell me, they have the result of the security clearances, now it is a matter of time for a citizenship judge to make a decision. Sometimes they tell me they have a date line, March 31st, I will hear from them before March 31st, sometimes they tell me your file is good, just be patient.. blabla..
Why did you need a citizenship judge? did you apply with less days?
Also, did they inform you if/when your file went to a judge and did they ask you to come in?

Decision made means they either approved or denied your application. The Call Center can tell you which from what I hear.

Good luck!

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
Loriboo said:
My online status (Ecas) just changed from in process to Decision made... Does it mean anything?
Congrats !!!, its good news. In most of the cases, it mean you are due to get the Oath invitation. ;D

Lily2011

May 6, 2014
After a little research on the board, turns out that the CSIS clearance details does not show on the ATIP report. So in my case, there can be a result in the report back in 2014 and the clearance expired like the rest. Now we wait for them to run it again.

Any one knows how long it usually take for the clearance to finish pending?

saria

Oct 18, 2012
Went for citizenship test today, passed the test and interview went fine. Daughter had turned 15 and a half in August, and they just requested her clearance check, so now we are all waiting. Any ideas how long this might take?