+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does my travel insurance need to last for? TIA

emilycorner

Mar 6, 2023
Hi everyone

Would appreciate some advise if possible! Myself and my partner are travelling to Canada on a Working Holiday Visa next month. Although the visa lasts for 2 years, we are planning on only staying 6 months - until October. As travel/health insurance is very expensive, we are hoping just to pay for the period we plan on staying. Will we have any problems in doing this? And does this mean we will only be issued a Work Permit for the 6 months we have insurance for?

Thank you!
Emily

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone

Would appreciate some advise if possible! Myself and my partner are travelling to Canada on a Working Holiday Visa next month. Although the visa lasts for 2 years, we are planning on only staying 6 months - until October. As travel/health insurance is very expensive, we are hoping just to pay for the period we plan on staying. Will we have any problems in doing this? And does this mean we will only be issued a Work Permit for the 6 months we have insurance for?

Thank you!
Emily
That's right. If you come with insurance that only covers you for six months, there's a risk the work permit will only be issued for the same six moth period. So you want to be very sure you only want to be in Canada for six months and not longer.

emilycorner

Mar 6, 2023
That's right. If you come with insurance that only covers you for six months, there's a risk the work permit will only be issued for the same six moth period. So you want to be very sure you only want to be in Canada for six months and not longer.
Thank you for your response, very helpful :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your response, very helpful :)
One further comment... Let's say that you go for the six month insurance and the work permit is only issued for six months, you will not be able to extend the visa to get the full 2 year duration. The six months will be it. My two cents is to research insurance plans that allow you to sign up for the full period but then to cancel if you don't need the full duration. Plans sometimes change and this avoids the risk of being really sorry later...

emilycorner

Mar 6, 2023
One further comment... Let's say that you go for the six month insurance and the work permit is only issued for six months, you will not be able to extend the visa to get the full 2 year duration. The six months will be it. My two cents is to research insurance plans that allow you to sign up for the full period but then to cancel if you don't need the full duration. Plans sometimes change and this avoids the risk of being really sorry later...
Thanks for this. Will definitely bear in mind. We're pretty set on the 6 months, but wouldn't want to regret ruling out any longer if we did change our minds. I'll take a look into all options!

DevGurgaon

Aug 14, 2015
You can probably get a 2 year insurance with monthly payment option and an option to cancel if you leave early for home country