+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it take to sponsor a new partner if my divorce is finalized byJune

gator55

Mar 19, 2015
My divorce will be finalized in June. It is a gay marriage where we married in Nov. 2011, seperated in Feb 2013 but just finalizing divorce plans. It will be a simple uncontested divorce. Can I sponsor a new partner immediately after this divorce. I have been with my new partner since June 2013

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
gator55 said:
My divorce will be finalized in June. It is a gay marriage where we married in Nov. 2011, seperated in Feb 2013 but just finalizing divorce plans. It will be a simple uncontested divorce. Can I sponsor a new partner immediately after this divorce. I have been with my new partner since June 2013
Yes you can sponsor immediately after assuming you get married or become common-law.

If you have already lived with your new partner for 12 months, you don't even need to wait for the divorce to finalize as it's perfectly acceptable to sponsor someone as common-law partner while being married on paper to someone else.

edit: This is all assuming there was no previous sponsorship involved. Else need to follow what PMM said.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Rob_TO said:
Yes you can sponsor immediately after assuming you get married or become common-law.

If you have already lived with your new partner for 12 months, you don't even need to wait for the divorce to finalize as it's perfectly acceptable to sponsor someone as common-law partner while being married on paper to someone else.
1. Actually 2 caveats. If you sponsored your previous partner, you can't sponsor another partner until 3 years have passed since s/he was "landed" or if you were the sponsored partner, then you can't sponsor until 5 years have passed since you "landed"

gator55

Mar 19, 2015
The person I married would have to leave the country within 3 months. So I married him but it was a mistake. I found out too late. My new partner has been in Canada for 2 yrs but we have been together 20 months. Am I able to sponsor my new partneror do I have to wait 1 more year?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

gator55 said:
The person I married would have to leave the country within 3 months. So I married him but it was a mistake. I found out too late. My new partner has been in Canada for 2 yrs but we have been together 20 months. Am I able to sponsor my new partneror do I have to wait 1 more year?
1. Its not how long he has been in Canada, but the date of his landing plus 3 years before you are eligible to sponsor again.
2. You can probably expect a very close scrutiny of the next sponsorship.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
gator55 said:
FYI, info is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf
There can be no new sponsorship if there is an existing sponsorship undertaking in respect of a
spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner and the three-year period of that sponsorship
has not ended [R117(9)(b)].

Since you sponsored your previous partner, if he goes on social assistance anytime during the 3 years undertaking commitment (starting as of the date he landed as PR), you are responsible to pay that back to the government. CIC wants to be sure you are free and clear of this obligation before allowing you to sponsor a new partner.