+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it take to get through customs and immigration at airport?

bttmntl

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2013
My husband will be coming to Ottawa but all of the flights seem to have a connection in Toronto. How much time do we need between flights to make it? I am considering driving 5 hours to the airport to reduce the risk/stress of him missing a connecting flight. Thoughts?

Many thanks.

marcjd

May 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
jan 2 2013
AOR Received.
jan 24 2013
File Transfer...
jan 24 2013 (cem received feb 5)
Med's Done....
oct 27 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
july 4 2013 (sent July 8 2013)
VISA ISSUED...
sept 9 2013
LANDED..........
oct 24 2013
it really depends how busy immigration is at the time you land as you know ..planes lands every minute in the airport .. it is best to have atleast 2 hrs time before the next flight .. reason .. the time you land lets say 12 .. you'd probably need like 30 mins to embark and walk your way to immigration .. then given you are lucky you finish immigration in 15 mins .then you have to claim your stuff in the conveyor after that you have to walk your way to the domestic flight area and find your gate .. and 30 mins before the flight departure gate closes .. so should have about atleast 2 hrs .. over 4 hrs is over rated thou ..

a detailed one would be like this ??

land 12
walk to immigration + bathroom break 12:30
immigration lets say 15 to 30 mins .. so 1
pick things on conveyor + walk to domestic 15-30 mins 1:30
flight 2 pm gate closes 20-30 mins before flight .. 1:30-1:40
then fly at 2 pm ?? 2 hrs wait time

hahaha .. it depends where he'd be coming from .. any 10hrs + flights would be very exhausting for anyone taking it .. + if you are driving for another 5 more hrs just to go home i would feel terrible for you and your partner . because the day that he's arrive the 1st thing on his mind would be i need a bed too tired hahah ..

bttmntl

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2013
marcjd said:
it really depends how busy immigration is at the time you land as you know ..planes lands every minute in the airport .. it is best to have atleast 2 hrs time before the next flight .. reason .. the time you land lets say 12 .. you'd probably need like 30 mins to embark and walk your way to immigration .. then given you are lucky you finish immigration in 15 mins .then you have to claim your stuff in the conveyor after that you have to walk your way to the domestic flight area and find your gate .. and 30 mins before the flight departure gate closes .. so should have about atleast 2 hrs .. over 4 hrs is over rated thou ..

a detailed one would be like this ??

land 12
walk to immigration + bathroom break 12:30
immigration lets say 15 to 30 mins .. so 1
pick things on conveyor + walk to domestic 15-30 mins 1:30
flight 2 pm gate closes 20-30 mins before flight .. 1:30-1:40
then fly at 2 pm ?? 2 hrs wait time
Thanks for the reply, marcjd.

I recently had a bad experience on my way back from Mexico, missing my connecting flight in Washington despite 2 hours buffer time because border services was so congested. I think that has more to do with a lack of funding and haven't encountered that in Ottawa, but like you said, it depends on how busy they are.

I never actually had a problem in Toronto, but I wonder how my husband will do as he doesn't have much experience with airports.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
bttmntl said:
Thanks for the reply, marcjd.

I recently had a bad experience on my way back from Mexico, missing my connecting flight in Washington despite 2 hours buffer time because border services was so congested. I think that has more to do with a lack of funding and haven't encountered that in Ottawa, but like you said, it depends on how busy they are.

I never actually had a problem in Toronto, but I wonder how my husband will do as he doesn't have much experience with airports.
I am guessing you are buying separate tickets instead of buying a ticket that covers the entire routing. Whenever I get separate tickets, I always give myself a four-hour layover. It gives time for delays, customs, baggage problems, etc.

bttmntl

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2013
costaudjoe said:
I am guessing you are buying separate tickets instead of buying a ticket that covers the entire routing. Whenever I get separate tickets, I always give myself a four-hour layover. It gives time for delays, customs, baggage problems, etc.
Hadn't thought of that... was just looking at one itinerary with a connecting flight. I feel kind of dumb now. BUT Toronto is only 4-5 hours away, so now we're seriously considering me just driving there to pick him up. That way he doesn't have to get into a second plane or feel any sense of hurry/confusion. And we would probably get home around the same time, if not earlier - chatting with each other instead of travelling apart. =)

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
bttmntl said:
Hadn't thought of that... was just looking at one itinerary with a connecting flight. I feel kind of dumb now. BUT Toronto is only 4-5 hours away, so now we're seriously considering me just driving there to pick him up. That way he doesn't have to get into a second plane or feel any sense of hurry/confusion. And we would probably get home around the same time, if not earlier - chatting with each other instead of travelling apart. =)
Are you thinking of driving from Montreal???

bttmntl

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2013
costaudjoe said:
Are you thinking of driving from Montreal???
From Ottawa - about two hours west of Montreal.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
bttmntl said:
From Ottawa - about two hours west of Montreal.
Yes, I know where Ottawa is :D

Honestly, the trouble you would save your partner would be minimal to none. He would still need to clear customs, pick up suitcase, hand in his declaration and then work his way out of the airport to meet you (instead of working his way to another gate). 8-10 hours of driving seems like a lot just to avoid having him walk to another gate.

When you are looking at tickets, are you looking at routing straight through to Ottawa or are you playing travel agent and trying to put together an itinerary for him? The reason I ask is because if you get tickets straight through, it is the airline's responsibility if they put the flights too close together and would have to put him on the next flight at no cost. If you set up his itinerary and he misses, it can be complicated and costly.

Unless of course, the real purpose is to be together earlier, well then that's a different discussion. :)

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Agreed. It seems to me you are looking at "one" carrier that simply connects through Toronto. The ground agents of that "carrier" will be most helpful should your husband require assistance. So much so, it's not really worth your drive. Just a thought, if you really wish to pick him up, why not do so and also go to Niagara Falls for a day (celebration in order perhaps?) . . . once back in Ottawa it might be years before you make that trip.

bttmntl

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2013
costaudjoe said:
Yes, I know where Ottawa is :D

Honestly, the trouble you would save your partner would be minimal to none. He would still need to clear customs, pick up suitcase, hand in his declaration and then work his way out of the airport to meet you (instead of working his way to another gate). 8-10 hours of driving seems like a lot just to avoid having him walk to another gate.

When you are looking at tickets, are you looking at routing straight through to Ottawa or are you playing travel agent and trying to put together an itinerary for him? The reason I ask is because if you get tickets straight through, it is the airline's responsibility if they put the flights too close together and would have to put him on the next flight at no cost. If you set up his itinerary and he misses, it can be complicated and costly.

Unless of course, the real purpose is to be together earlier, well then that's a different discussion. :)
Originally we were going to route straight through to Ottawa with one itinerary... but that's where I was concerned by him having two hours or less to make it.

I know the airline is obligated to put you on the next flight free of cost if customs and immigration takes too long. In my experience this reason worked when there was a huge line and I literally couldn't get through in time. Does it still work if you just took a long time to get through because you're landing as a permanent resident? How long does it actually take, by the way? Is it just slightly more involved then when a citizen returns?

I would hate for him to get delayed and have to stay in a hotel in Toronto... but I guess the key there is getting an early enough flight that there are other flights from Toronto to Ottawa after... and worst case scenario, then I could go get him if need be right?

The benefits of picking him up still stand... we get to be together sooner... he doesn't have to get on the plane again (flying makes him nervous) and as the person waiting on the other side I could be driving there instead of twiddling my thumbs waiting.

Thanks for all your input! =D

truesmile said:
Agreed. It seems to me you are looking at "one" carrier that simply connects through Toronto. The ground agents of that "carrier" will be most helpful should your husband require assistance. So much so, it's not really worth your drive. Just a thought, if you really wish to pick him up, why not do so and also go to Niagara Falls for a day (celebration in order perhaps?) . . . once back in Ottawa it might be years before you make that trip.
Thanks for the reassurance!

I would love to show him Niagara Falls. We are going to be a bit tight on money though with "welcome home" celebrations and trying to get a bigger apartment. ;)