+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it take to apply PGWP AND spousal open work permit together?

erencie

Apr 10, 2013
Hi, I am expecting to graduate 2 months before my study permit expires. My husband is currently holding an open work permit dependent on my study permit and he is working as a full-time professional. In addition, I already have a job offer which I think falls into the NOC category A. But I'll only start working after I graduate.

I am planning to apply post-graduation work permit for myself. But at the same time, I want to extend my husband's open work permit. May anyone who have experiences on this tell me:

-- Should my husband apply an open work permit extension after I obtain my PGWP? Or can we apply together?

-- I do not have payslips yet because currently I only have the offer and haven't started working yet. Is this ok?

-- How to prove that my job falls into NOC A category? I feel that the title of my job--software engineer--is already quite self-explanatory but I want to double confirm.

-- How long does the whole process take? I'm worried if there is a gap between my husband's old OWP expiry date and his new OWP start date; that will cause interruption to his current job and forces him to leave Canada for a while (he's not from visa-exempt countries).

Thanks a lot for any answers in advance. Hopefully my thread is general so that it benefits more people.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can't apply to extend his OWP until you are actually working in your new job. If you apply for his OWP before his current OWP expires - he will be on implied status and will be able to keep working.

erencie

Apr 10, 2013
Would you mind elaborate more what the "implied" status mean? Do you mean that if his OWP expires in July 1, and I apply for his OWP on June 30, then he can still work on July 2 because he is waiting for the new OWP result?

scylla said:
You can't apply to extend his OWP until you are actually working in your new job. If you apply for his OWP before his current OWP expires - he will be on implied status and will be able to keep working.