+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it take for the sponsor's portion of the sponsorship application take to get approved?

HollieO

Oct 14, 2017
So I mailed in all the necessary documents for a common-law sponsorship application back in early September. They received the package on September 5th and started processing my sponsor's part of the application on September 26th. The online application status tool states that his application is still in progress. I know normally the sponsor's application is approved first before they move on to working on the primary applicant's application - about how long does it take for the SPONSOR'S application to get approved on average? I know the whole process takes about 12 months.

HollieO

Oct 14, 2017
I would say within the first 3-4 months.
Thanks much! I (the principal applicant) am currently living in Canada and am here on an OWP that is set to expire mid-March of next year. The CIC website says it takes about 4 months for the applicant to receive an open-work permit if they request one when they send in their sponsorship application - would this be four months from when the whole sponsorship application began processing (September 26th in my case) or 4 months from when they begin processing the principal applicant's application?

US-CAN_Love

Oct 12, 2018
Applications for open-work permits (OWPs) are processed seperately from the application for permanent residency. The estimated time is four months from the date of submission of the OWP application. Some applicants receive it much sooner, some a little later, but most within four months.

HollieO

Oct 14, 2017
Applications for open-work permits (OWPs) are processed seperately from the application for permanent residency. The estimated time is four months from the date of submission of the OWP application. Some applicants receive it much sooner, some a little later, but most within four months.
Thanks for the info! Out of curiosity, do you get an AOR or anything like that for the OWP, or a way you can link/view it online separate from the PR application? The only AOR received so far is the one for my Sponsor.

US-CAN_Love

Oct 12, 2018
No AOR for the OWP application. We had to use the applicant's name and birthday (along with passport info, residency as Canada). Every week or so I would try it and eventually it linked. See my signature for our timeline.

Reactions: HollieO

HollieO

Oct 14, 2017
No AOR for the OWP application. We had to use the applicant's name and birthday (along with passport info, residency as Canada). Every week or so I would try it and eventually it linked. See my signature for our timeline.
I was able to link it to my account! Thanks! :)