+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it take for the GIC account to get activated once we reach there?

nssnick

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
Guys, I ll land on 22nd August(Thursday). Can you tell me how long it will take for my GIC account to get activated once I reach there? I am taking around $800-$1000 along with me other than GIC amount and I am thinking what if the money finishes up and I am short of cash and GIC took time. I just want to know from the people who have used the services before?

softfuel12

Sep 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2014
Doc's Request.
15-08-2014
AOR Received.
08-12-2014
Med's Request
02-02-2016
Med's Done....
29-02-2016
Passport Req..
04-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2016
LANDED..........
21-03-2016
Arrange a college ID card and your address proof as quick as you can to open your chequing account at Scotiabank.

nssnick

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
softfuel12 said:
Arrange a college ID card and your address proof as quick as you can to open your chequing account at Scotiabank.
How can I have an address proof sitting in India? I ll go on 22nd ...

garyforu1

Star Member
Jul 26, 2013
Delhi, India
Visa Office......
Delhi CHC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2013
Med's Done....
06-25-2013
nssnick said:
nick that what softfuel mentioned...to arrange for the address proof as soon as you land there on 22nd.... :D

softfuel12

Sep 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2014
Doc's Request.
15-08-2014
AOR Received.
08-12-2014
Med's Request
02-02-2016
Med's Done....
29-02-2016
Passport Req..
04-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2016
LANDED..........
21-03-2016
nssnick said:
No landlord will give you address proof to the tenants. You'll be lucky if your landlord agrees to give. :)

You can do the following:

There must be a login ID given to you by your college to register for course. When you are logged in you can see there is a "profile" link somewhere. You can update information in that profile like your address and contact number etc. After updating take a print out and you're done.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

One can open the account and receive 2000 CAD the very same day he/she lands in Canada (of course the bank should be open at that day and time).

You need just passport and college acceptance letter. Now, you really don't need to be in the same city as your college to open the account. As far as the address is concerned, you don't really need one, you can tell them your college address. They do not send you documents via mail ( and for monthly statements, you can opt for online which saves you money too as they charge for paper statement). The very same day, you can apply for student credit card which will have a limit of 500 CAD which is not bad to start your credit history in a new country as a student (card will be ready in just 1 week). Now, for this credit card also, you do not need an address as you can tell your financial adviser (who will help you open an account) that you want to collect the card in person from the branch.

You can withdraw 2k CAD the same day, I will advise you withdraw from the same bank there as Scotia bank doesn't have much ATMs ( subject to your location) and withdrawal will cost you 2 dollars extra every time if it's not scotia bank ATM. RBC is a better option than Scotia.

Though as said, you don't need any address proof, but even if you opt for paper statements, landlords here don't have any problem with your banking habits or phone bills.

Hope it helps and welcome to Canada.

Cheers!

nssnick

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
sabby2612 said:
Hello all,

One can open the account and receive 2000 CAD the very same day he/she lands in Canada (of course the bank should be open at that day and time).

You need just passport and college acceptance letter. Now, you really don't need to be in the same city as your college to open the account. As far as the address is concerned, you don't really need one, you can tell them your college address. They do not send you documents via mail ( and for monthly statements, you can opt for online which saves you money too as they charge for paper statement). The very same day, you can apply for student credit card which will have a limit of 500 CAD which is not bad to start your credit history in a new country as a student (card will be ready in just 1 week). Now, for this credit card also, you do not need an address as you can tell your financial adviser (who will help you open an account) that you want to collect the card in person from the branch.

You can withdraw 2k CAD the same day, I will advise you withdraw from the same bank there as Scotia bank doesn't have much ATMs ( subject to your location) and withdrawal will cost you 2 dollars extra every time if it's not scotia bank ATM. RBC is a better option than Scotia.

Though as said, you don't need any address proof, but even if you opt for paper statements, landlords here don't have any problem with your banking habits or phone bills.

Hope it helps and welcome to Canada.

Cheers!
Awesome ..Thanks. Can you tell me any scotia branch near pearson airport or near humber college, would like to go for activation the day I land.

nssnick

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
garyforu1 said:
nick that what softfuel mentioned...to arrange for the address proof as soon as you land there on 22nd.... :D
Bro, What are the options? How can we do it? I am not able to find an accommodation yet. :(

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
nssnick said:
Awesome ..Thanks. Can you tell me any scotia branch near pearson airport or near humber college, would like to go for activation the day I land.
http://maps.scotiabank.com/en/index.php
normally most big stores and banks have a store locator on their website u can use it to find closest location.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Scotia branch isn't far from humber college. apprx 2 KMs. As far as accommodation is concerned, there are plenty of options around the college.

Room in upper portion of the house will cost you 300 on sharing basis and single occupancy will cost 450 to 500. room in the basement single occupancy 300 to 350 and sharing 200 to 250 a month. You can find options near college at walking distance, just 2 or 3 mins walk for above mentioned price. You can either try on kijji website or take accommodation anywhere just for 2 days in a hotel or at a friend's place and within 2 days, you can find a place to move in. it's better to move during last week of the month as usually the houses aren't available during mid of the month. so if you land here on 27 or 28th, you can try booking for 1st September.

Humber isn't far from Pearson airport either. If you take a taxi, it should take around 30 or at max 40 mins.

nssnick

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
sabby2612 said:
Scotia branch isn't far from humber college. apprx 2 KMs. As far as accommodation is concerned, there are plenty of options around the college.

Room in upper portion of the house will cost you 300 on sharing basis and single occupancy will cost 450 to 500. room in the basement single occupancy 300 to 350 and sharing 200 to 250 a month. You can find options near college at walking distance, just 2 or 3 mins walk for above mentioned price. You can either try on kijji website or take accommodation anywhere just for 2 days in a hotel or at a friend's place and within 2 days, you can find a place to move in. it's better to move during last week of the month as usually the houses aren't available during mid of the month. so if you land here on 27 or 28th, you can try booking for 1st September.

Humber isn't far from Pearson airport either. If you take a taxi, it should take around 30 or at max 40 mins.
Ok thanks :)