+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it take, after first stage approval, to get an OPW

Devin

Dec 6, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello
I just have a quick question which relates to an open work permit.
My wife and I applied for my permanent residence about 9 months ago, and it was an inland application allowing me to have an open work permit after first stage approval. All has gone well so far, we received letters in the mail stating that my wife has been approved to sponsor me and that I will receive an open work permit.
It has been 2 weeks since I received those letters and still no sign of the work permit. How long does it take after first stage approval to receive the work permit? Do I have to wait for 30 days or something? I was under the impression that I will get it a few days after those letters of confirmation arrived? Has anyone else had to wait for their work permits? If so, how long?
Thanks

R

robrod

Congrats on your AIP!.
Normally from what I've read from other applicants, the OWP arrives together with the other 2 letters (sponsor and sponsoree approvals).
I would call the CIC call center to further inquire about when is it going to be mailed...
Merry Xmas!.

Devin

Dec 6, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
robrod said:
Congrats on your AIP!.
Normally from what I've read from other applicants, the OWP arrives together with the other 2 letters (sponsor and sponsoree approvals).
I would call the CIC call center to further inquire about when is it going to be mailed...
Merry Xmas!.
A merry Christmas to you too.
Thanks, I am very happy about at least knowing that we were approved, it is just this having to wait for the work permit. They actually got our address wrong, or at least half of it so I am hoping that my work permit won’t get lost somewhere along the way. I tried to get them to re issue the permits but they said that I had to wait 6 weeks before I can call them again for them to re-issue it so as to check whether it will still arrive or not. Miraculously Canada post managed to find me with only the first two lines of my address with the letters of approval, but it seems that the work permit was not quite as lucky. So now I have to wait another 4 weeks before I can phone and then another month before I get the replacement. So I guess that means unless I get the permit soon, I will be waiting another two months till I can start looking for work.
It’s kind of funny if you think about it, it is like skating uphill, every time you get close, you just slide back down the hill, well unless you are one of the SEDIN twin’s ha-ha.

R

robrod

Someone else from the Inlanders thread also got his OWP lost in the mail recently.
Like I advised to him, you should make a trip to your SIN office tomorrow with the AIP letters and there's a chance they will issue you the SIN card right there and then since I know for a fact through my landing experience (SIN people were there at my local immigration office to exchange our SIN cards on my landing appointment) and I saw they have access to CIC's files)... With those 2 same AIP letters go to Service Ontario office to get your Ontario Health Card, you don't need the OWP for that!.

Devin

Dec 6, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
robrod said:
Someone else from the Inlanders thread also got his OWP lost in the mail recently.
Like I advised to him, you should make a trip to your SIN office tomorrow with the AIP letters and there's a chance they will issue you the SIN card right there and then since I know for a fact through my landing experience (SIN people were there at my local immigration office to exchange our SIN cards on my landing appointment) and I saw they have access to CIC's files)... With those 2 same AIP letters go to Service Ontario office to get your Ontario Health Card, you don't need the OWP for that!.
Really? Holy cow that would be great.
I did call the Sin people a couple of days ago, as CIC suggested that i call them to check whether i can get my SIN card with the work permit number and dates they gave me, the SIN call centre said that they will need the actual work permit though. But i am going to a service location on Friday to get my OHIP card, so i mite as well give it a try and see if they can provide me with my SIN with the info CIC gave me. I didn’t think of trying that, thanks for mentioning it.

R

robrod

Yes, so was the other person given his OWP info over the phone and told the same thing... I think if you go in person, it will be a very different story from what someone over the phone tells you... I think this person ended up not pursuing it because he called CIC again and was told he was landing in 2 weeks...
And you're welcome, it's nice to see we are of mutual help regarding situations.. kinda cool in fact. Thank you as well for you GED advice.

Devin

Dec 6, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh are you the same person?? haha i didnt even check. It is great to share advice with people in the same boat. I just posted under the other topic about the GED, if you need any more info just ask.

I am for sure going in on friday for my OHIP, so i will see if they are willing. It feels good to hae a little hope again, even if it is a little. Not working for over a year really is a killer.

R

robrod

The Health Card will be no problem... Just make sure to take with you proof of address, look it up at the service ontario website for the required documentation...
The SIN Card is at a different location, Service Canada is called.
Yes, it's me on the other thread... I'm kinda busy this evening with all these postings... but soon my time to post will come to an end once my PR card arrives... being helping plenty (in my opinion) and need to move on... hehehe

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
Unfortunately, I doubt you'd be given a SIN based on a letter. They'd need your OWP or PR card (or landing documents)

Devin

Dec 6, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well i am just going to hope that i receive my work permit soon then. Who knows, perhaps Canada post will perform another miracle.

R

robrod

From Inlanders thread:

They love cash at the local office, Alibaba... debit and credit too.
Did you go to the SIN office to see if it was possible to get the SIN card without the OWP which was lost in the mail, by the way?.

Devin

Dec 6, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
robrod said:
From Inlanders thread:

They love cash at the local office, Alibaba... debit and credit too.
Did you go to the SIN office to see if it was possible to get the SIN card without the OWP which was lost in the mail, by the way?.
Nope, but I plan to considering how much time i have on my hands these days. I will give it a go next week after doing my OHIP this week

R

robrod

Sorry, Dev.. didn't mean to confuse you.. this posting is from the other thread (called Inlanders) where there's the guy (his name is Alibaba) I was telling you about with the same problem about his OWP being lost in the mail too... I'll see if he replies and will let you know what he said, or alternatively you can look it up on that thread yourself...

R

robrod

From Alibaba on Inlanders thread:

yes i went to Service Ontario office and i was refused a SIN number without OWP or PR card. I was told the call center people don't have a clue how service ontario operates and addtionaly she said i may not be able to seek employment without a sin number and owp in hand. IMO the call centre agent tricked me because she perhaps knew i will becom a PR soon and probably won't need a work permit..