Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2014 ; reissued 21-05-2014
LANDED..........
planning for 11-06-2014!!!
Just looking into the whole car import thing... I can't tell if this is a process that can be done in a few days or if it takes a few weeks from beginning to end (registered, etc).
I know that the export from the US takes 3 days, and then there is the border part of the import... Then you have to have the car inspected before it can be registered. Are there any documents that you have to wait for from RIV before you can register the car?
Also, in terms of registering the car... Is it possible for it to be registered in both my and my husband's name in ON? Or can we both be listed to drive it? I'm not sure how that works here...

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
kateee said:
Just looking into the whole car import thing... I can't tell if this is a process that can be done in a few days or if it takes a few weeks from beginning to end (registered, etc).
I know that the export from the US takes 3 days, and then there is the border part of the import... Then you have to have the car inspected before it can be registered. Are there any documents that you have to wait for from RIV before you can register the car?
Also, in terms of registering the car... Is it possible for it to be registered in both my and my husband's name in ON? Or can we both be listed to drive it? I'm not sure how that works here...
Yes, you need to get some information to the US side to export the car. They require 72 hours advance notice that you will be importing the car. Once you have effectively exported the car CBSA will stamp your B4 (for any other goods you might have to follow later), and give you Form 1, which has to be faxed/emailed to RIV. RIV only requires 24 to 48 hours to process form 1 with your payment and they email/snail mail (your choice) form 2 which you then make an appointment with Canadian Tire (or the local RIV appointed inspectors for your area) and have the car inspected for import and also have the emissions testing done. Once you have all that done then you can go to local office and have car issued a valid registration (shouldn't be an issue to get both you and your spouse on it)and then you take that registration to your local insurance agent and they will issue you an insurance card which you then return back to your local service office and show them the valid insurance and they will then issue you plates.

It is not as streamlined as it is in the states you will have to jump through a couple of hoops, but nothing too major.

For your own needs, I would definitely take the time to get a letter of experience from your local us insurance agent because that WILL help the cost of your insurance rates here in Canada as they are much higher. Also get your driving history from your local DMV which will help facilitate an easier transition to a Canadian drivers license.

Good luck with your landing!

kateee

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2013
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
& SA: 10-10-2013
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Landing in about 2 weeks! Cheesy
Just wondering about the car import... My car title and registration is under my maiden name and my COPR/new passport is in my married name. Will this be a problem? Can I just bring my old passport and marriage license? Has anyone done this before? It takes 60-90 days to get a new title issued in my state and I'm already in Canada with my car...

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
No. It'll be fine that your old title is still in your maiden name. Just bring your marriage license and your passport to whatever border crossing you'll be exporting your car from. It is a very very simple process to export your car. It will actually take you more effort and time to get it all 'papered' in Canada then it will to get it exported from the US. LOL

kateee

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2013
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
& SA: 10-10-2013
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Alurra71 said:
No. It'll be fine that your old title is still in your maiden name. Just bring your marriage license and your passport to whatever border crossing you'll be exporting your car from. It is a very very simple process to export your car. It will actually take you more effort and time to get it all 'papered' in Canada then it will to get it exported from the US. LOL
Great! So I'm assuming the import to Canada will also be ok with the maiden name?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
kateee said:
Great! So I'm assuming the import to Canada will also be ok with the maiden name?
yeah, they barely even acknowledged the title from me. LOL So long as they have marriage proof you won't have a problem.