+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does "Awaiting assessment" take?

larymc

May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUG 30, 2011
AOR Received.
FEB 01,2011
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APP.
Hello everyone,

I sent my PR application under CEC last year end of August and I received an email which includes a File Number and an Awaiting assessment link on Feb 1, 2011. I did not get anything thereafter.

Is that email which contains a file number the "AOR"?

Am I waiting for further instructions to arrive in my mailbox? Do I need to do anything now?

Does the "11 months" processing time stated in the CIC website counting from the date I sent my application or the date I received the file number?

Thanks a lot.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
larymc said:
Is that email which contains a file number the "AOR"?

Yes.

Am I waiting for further instructions to arrive in my mailbox?
You mean, for the AOR, in addition to the email? No.

Do I need to do anything now?
Wait...

Does the "11 months" processing time stated in the CIC website counting from the date I sent my application or the date I received the file number?

Neither. The "11 months" processing time is not a processing standard, it is an historical average for applications finalized in 2010 (11 months from date of application received at CIC). Most of those applications were submitted in 2009, when AORs took 2 months or less. Some took less than 11 months, some took more. Although it is the most recent data available, the past is an unreliable predictor of the future.

larymc

May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUG 30, 2011
AOR Received.
FEB 01,2011
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APP.
Thank you very much for your reply.

jes_ON said:
Am I waiting for further instructions to arrive in my mailbox?
You mean, for the AOR, in addition to the email? No.
I thought I am waiting for a letter from Buffalo Visa office which tells me that my application is complete and I can proceed with medical exam and other steps.
If I am not waiting for anything, when do I take the medical exam?

Thanks a lot.

Essat

Star Member
Sep 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-March-2010
AOR Received.
13-May-2010
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
To LA on 10-Nov-2010
Med's Request
08-12-2010
Med's Done....
14-01-2011, sent 26-01-2011
Passport Req..
13-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2011
LANDED..........
05-Jun-2011
Larymc - Just wait for the next communication from your visa office. It could be a request for additional documents, medical examination...... If the VO determines that they don't need any additional documents, they will send you the immigration medical forms and instructions on how to complete the medical examination. Make sure that you keep your mailing address up-to-date, and just wait.....

Essat

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
larymc said:
Thank you very much for your reply.

I thought I am waiting for a letter from Buffalo Visa office which tells me that my application is complete and I can proceed with medical exam and other steps.
If I am not waiting for anything, when do I take the medical exam?
If you receive the AOR, that generally means your application is "complete" (meaning, you did not forget anything important).

Sometimes, the visa office will ask for additional documents, and sometimes the file is transferred to another visa office in the USA (Los Angeles, Seattle, Detroit, New York). You will likely receive an email if this happens.

But for the next stage in processing, you will receive from the visa office is the "initial assessment" and medical instructions - this could be anywhere from 2-6 months, even longer.

So the only thing you need to do right now is, wait. :) If you change your address or have a change in your family status, you need to update your file at Buffalo. That is all...

BTW, I am not sure what you mean by "Awaiting assessment" link - is this a link to e-CAS? You should know that e-CAS will not provide details about your file, and has been very unreliable lately (out of date, errors), due to changes in CIC's information systems....

And, Essat - congratulations!

Simp

Nov 6, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

I am thinking to apply under CEC as my application in skilled worker class is in process for long almost 15 months.
If you could tell me regarding IELTS requirement.i have done the academic ielts recently with over all score of 7.Would it be ok or i need to do general module.I have been in canada for 3 years.If i need to submit police certificates from back home and from canada as well.

Will appreciate ur guidance..

Thanks

S

jes_ON said:
If you receive the AOR, that generally means your application is "complete" (meaning, you did not forget anything important).

Sometimes, the visa office will ask for additional documents, and sometimes the file is transferred to another visa office in the USA (Los Angeles, Seattle, Detroit, New York). You will likely receive an email if this happens.

But for the next stage in processing, you will receive from the visa office is the "initial assessment" and medical instructions - this could be anywhere from 2-6 months, even longer.

So the only thing you need to do right now is, wait. :) If you change your address or have a change in your family status, you need to update your file at Buffalo. That is all...

BTW, I am not sure what you mean by "Awaiting assessment" link - is this a link to e-CAS? You should know that e-CAS will not provide details about your file, and has been very unreliable lately (out of date, errors), due to changes in CIC's information systems....

And, Essat - congratulations!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Simp said:
Hi there,

I am thinking to apply under CEC as my application in skilled worker class is in process for long almost 15 months.
If you could tell me regarding IELTS requirement.i have done the academic ielts recently with over all score of 7.Would it be ok or i need to do general module.I have been in canada for 3 years.If i need to submit police certificates from back home and from canada as well.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/cec.asp

larymc

May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUG 30, 2011
AOR Received.
FEB 01,2011
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APP.
Thank you so much jes_ON and Essat.

BTW, I am not sure what you mean by "Awaiting assessment" link - is this a link to e-CAS?
This is the link included in the email.
www[dot]canadainternational[dot]gc[dot]ca[slash]buffalo[slash]imm[slash]assessment_evaluation[dot]aspx
(Sorry I am not allowed to post link)

One more question:
Is there any official information which indicates what should the employer do if its employee who is in implied status receive a negative result for extending his work permit?
I tried to search the web but I couldn't get anything.
I just want to find some information so that my employer feel save hiring me when I am in implied status.

larymc

May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUG 30, 2011
AOR Received.
FEB 01,2011
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APP.
Hi there Simp!

Would it be ok or i need to do general module.
I am afraid that you need General test because on their website (www[dot]cic[dot]gc[dot]ca[slash]english[slash]information[slash]applications[slash]guides[slash]5609E2[dot]asp)
It says:
For your application to be eligible for processing, you must include the results of one of the following language tests from a testing agency designated by CIC:
English
- IELTS: International English Language Testing System (General Training test only)

Simp

Nov 6, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tHANKS.

Yeah it says for gen module.Have to find out about academic module.

S

larymc said:
Hi there Simp!

I am afraid that you need General test because on their website (www[dot]cic[dot]gc[dot]ca[slash]english[slash]information[slash]applications[slash]guides[slash]5609E2[dot]asp)
It says:

larymc

May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUG 30, 2011
AOR Received.
FEB 01,2011
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APP.
What I meant is that the immigration office only takes General Test for application of PR purpose.

So even if you score 9.0 in an Academic Test, they won't consider that as a replacement of the General Test.

We all understand that the Academic Test is harder than the General Test. But that's the rule as of today. ::)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
larymc said:
Thank you so much jes_ON and Essat.

This is the link included in the email.
www[dot]canadainternational[dot]gc[dot]ca[slash]buffalo[slash]imm[slash]assessment_evaluation[dot]aspx
(Sorry I am not allowed to post link)

One more question:
Is there any official information which indicates what should the employer do if its employee who is in implied status receive a negative result for extending his work permit?
I tried to search the web but I couldn't get anything.
I just want to find some information so that my employer feel save hiring me when I am in implied status.
See the OP 11, p. 27 for the right to work during implied status.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op11-eng.pdf

For your employer, this is probably more important:
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/employers/expiry.shtml

If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulation provides them the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions, pending a determination of their application for renewal, as long as they remain in Canada. This is referred as "implied status". The temporary foreign worker will have implied status until a decision is rendered by CIC.

In this case, a SIN card bearing a new expiry date will only be issued once CIC has rendered a decision. In the interim, where "implied status" is confirmed, the expired SIN may continue to be used. To obtain a replacement SIN card with a new expiry date, the temporary foreign worker must apply and present a valid immigration document issued by CIC.

If you are on implied status and your renewal application is refused, you are out-of-status the day you receive the refusal from CIC. You must stop work immediately.

If the work permit is refused because of a deficiency in the application that can be corrected, and you want to try again, you can apply to restore status and apply for a new work permit at the same time. You CANNOT work during this time. See the IP 6, p. 6
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip06-eng.pdf

You can also apply for restoration of status as a visitor, but of course you will not be able to work.

If you decide not to apply to restore status, you should leave Canada "immediately." It is not specified how much time you have to depart, but it would appear that you could have up to 90 days (again, you cannot work during that time). But if you have a PR application in process, I wouldn't push it - get out ASAP.

larymc

May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUG 30, 2011
AOR Received.
FEB 01,2011
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APP.
Thank you so much for your help. I am very appreciated. :) :)