+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long do you have to live together to make it look real?

J

jdwhite21

canadianwoman said:
I'm sure they look at your old files, but maybe only the CAIPS notes and the appeal decision, not all the evidence I sent in. The problem with reapplying is that if you don't have new evidence they will just say that the case has already been decided, and reject you again. You need new evidence, and not just more evidence of the same kinds of things. For example, evidence of more trips taken to see him, and another year or two of phone bills, won't be enough - I've seen that on many appeal cases.
what do they consider as new evidence?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Living together (if it was a long-distance relationship before) and having a child (if you didn't have one before).
I have read a lot of immigration appeal cases, and these were the only things that were considered new evidence. People who just sent in more proof of contact, such as more phone bills and more evidence of travel, were almost always rejected the second time as well. There was only one case (that I read) where the fact the relationship had continued after the first appeal was lost was considered enough - here the couple had just continued phoning each other and visiting.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
canadianwoman, I am so sorry to hear that after all that wait, your appeal was denied. I am shocked, honestly. I hope that eventually you're able to convince them that this is the real deal. Don't expect any apologies from them, though, for all you've been through. All you can do is try to move forward and keep the faith that eventually the two of you will have a life in Canada. As long as the two of you stay strong together, there is always hope.

J

jdwhite21

canadianwoman said:
Living together (if it was a long-distance relationship before) and having a child (if you didn't have one before).
I have read a lot of immigration appeal cases, and these were the only things that were considered new evidence. People who just sent in more proof of contact, such as more phone bills and more evidence of travel, were almost always rejected the second time as well. There was only one case (that I read) where the fact the relationship had continued after the first appeal was lost was considered enough - here the couple had just continued phoning each other and visiting.
Okay so we've already done the living together and we had our first daughter at the time we were rejected. I got pregnant again between the time of our interview and the time he was sent home... but we already had one child.. is that good enough to be new evidence? That scares me a little as our only real different evidence is the proof that we talk daily... nothing else we can really add now that we are not together. I hope that's enough...

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
jdwhite21, I think considering you were like me and hubby you have been living together while applying inland before hand you really wouldn't apply as a long distance couple from their standpoint. I think they were meaning being a long distance couple before first applying and during then later conquering that by not being long distance for the next application. Anyway, since you have lived together for a good duration of your relationship I think they will be looking more at how you have continued with your relationship since being married, since the rejection, how you deal with being a parent together and apart, are you still planning things for your future, if so provide evidence of that, show continued communication, and proof of wanting to continue a relationship of permanence. Every relationship and its evolution is different if it wasn't then all of our relationships would be too scripted and boring. Provide all that you can and continue to build it up during the wait. Start preparing for another interview and be each others strength. You both can get through this. This applies to you too canadianwoman. Best of luck for a promising and bright future! :D

Jez

Jul 26, 2010
Gatineau, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/9/2010
AOR Received.
2/12/2010
File Transfer...
20/10/2010
Med's Done....
26/7/2010
Passport Req..
8/2/2011
VISA ISSUED...
5/3/2011
LANDED..........
24/3/2011
@canadianwoman: You have not provided any details of your relationship circumstances. Have you even spent any time living with your husband?

It's a bit random making a post like this and asking the question of how long it takes to make a relationship look real... Especially for a 'champion' member.

HoneyBird2

Star Member
Jan 31, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
^^^^hmmmm. Jez she has stated before her case on other threads. She has asked this question as she values the opinions of members of this forum in thinking through her next steps. Everyday I learn something new on the forum, although I have been on it for a very long time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Jez - If you click on canadianwoman's profile and look through her threads starting at the beginning (i.e. with the oldest) - you'll see tons of information on her story. She has been very open about sharing the details of her experience and helping those of us new to the immigration process. Many of us here are very familiar with her journey and understand why she is asking this question.

canadianwoman - For the record, I think your question is a tough one to answer. I think what makes it hard is that you have to look at things from the CIC's perspective and it's always difficult to guess what their expectations are - and what they deem reasonable/unreasonable. In my eyes you've already proven your relationship and shouldn't need to live together very long at all. But I'm not the CIC.

J

jdwhite21

ahhh gotcha love_young... that makes more sense. Thats exactly what we did for our application, but I can't help worrying you know.

HoneyBird2

Star Member
Jan 31, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am thinking if for common law it is a requirement for a year living together, then Canadian Woman, i think you should similarly wait a year so the immigration officer can assess your relationship on that year living together.

Jez

Jul 26, 2010
Gatineau, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/9/2010
AOR Received.
2/12/2010
File Transfer...
20/10/2010
Med's Done....
26/7/2010
Passport Req..
8/2/2011
VISA ISSUED...
5/3/2011
LANDED..........
24/3/2011
Oh... so it's up to me to go and have a look at the profile and posts of everyone who asks a question? Seriously? Sheesh...

patiently_waiting

Nov 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 22, 2010
AOR Received.
November 26, 2010
File Transfer...
November 1, 2010
Med's Done....
July 13, 2010
Passport Req..
February 14, 2011
Jez said:
Oh... so it's up to me to go and have a look at the profile and posts of everyone who asks a question? Seriously? Sheesh...
No Jez, it isn't. Honeybird was just trying to give you some back ground on why all the info wasn't there as some of the forum members have developed a relationship over time here and she was just letting you know that there is some info available through old posts if you were interested in looking it up. It isn't a private conversation, however as you can imagine, through this process people turn to each other when they need them the most, it wasn't meant to disclude anyone.

Canadianwoman, I have read through this at least 8 times and one thing sticks with me each time. My only advice to offer is to go about it from a different angel. Maybe the question is not how long to you have to live togther to make it look real, but really more about how you can show over 6 months or a year the genuiness of your relationship in a way that they will 'get it'? I know it sounds lame, but I can only assume your IO was looking for more 'bells and whistles' (cards, pictures, a will perhaps) which I am sure you have already submitted however just didn't do it for them for whatever reason.

I wish the best of luck, I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you.

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
in the time together clearly show what special things u did together for ur birthdays, maybe have an outing together, how u'll b spending New Year together or Christmas and the most important ur Anniversary; maybe show pictures with both of u inside ur home, with friends visiting at ur home, explain ur living together, who does what, how u decorate ur home, stuff like that; focus from the moment of the rejection until the moment when u'll apply

i don't know if it is this what they want to see but since it's hard to guess their mind, it's worth to give it a shot

for the ones who are wondering: yes she is more senior than many of us and she knows very well her application and what she has to do but sometimes maybe they r things u don't see or u don't realize and people like us could ring her a bell

good luck :)

HoneyBird2

Star Member
Jan 31, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if you are planning to have a child, maybe this is the time to do it, perhaps later down in the year. Living one year in a foreign country, having a child are drastic changing circumstances rather than the simple continuing to write/talk/visit each other.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Thanks everyone for your advice, and good wishes.