+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how long do I leave Canada before returning for a new tourist visa?

jackgrump

Mar 11, 2013
This has got to be the simplest possible visa question, but the answer is apparently a classified government secret in Canada:

I'm a US citizen, visiting canada (tourist visa - 6 months). How long do I have to leave the country before returning again on another tourist visa?

Thanks so much for any help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
jackgrump said:
This has got to be the simplest possible visa question, but the answer is apparently a classified government secret in Canada:

I'm a US citizen, visiting canada (tourist visa - 6 months). How long do I have to leave the country before returning again on another tourist visa?

Thanks so much for any help!
There's no black and white rule - that's why you can't find the answer. When you enter Canada immigration is looking to see that you are entering Canada as a genuine tourist and have no plans to remain in Canada long term. If anything about you (how you act, how you talk, what you packed, how recently you visited, how long you plan on staying, etc.) says otherwise - that's when you run into problems. There's no one thing that determines how long and if you will be allowed into Canada.

jackgrump

Mar 11, 2013
Thanks so much!

So US citizens can stay in Canada as long as they want, but every six months they have to pass an arbitrary test of honor where their ultimate fate is in the hands of an unpredictable immigration officer.

Honestly, that's quite a bit better than the conditions of any other country I've visited / overstayed my visa in :)