+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long do FSW applications typically take?

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife just applied under FSW after the cap opened back up on May 1, 2014. How long do FSW applications typically require before we hear something?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can find processing time information here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/inFORMation/times/perm/skilled-fed.asp

How long it takes is influenced by which visa office you've applied through.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
And just to add... It will likely be 2-4 months before you hear from CIC after applying.

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
And just to add... It will likely be 2-4 months before you hear from CIC after applying.
That's why our attorney said too. I am just freaked out that if our application is somehow not complete we won't hear for 2-4 months and it will be returned to us and the cap will be reached. We triple checked everything but I am paranoid. How can they make you wait that long even for an acknowledgement?? It's like torture! :D

Some of the instructions are contradictory. For example the bar code page on the generic immigration form is supposed to go on top of the application. But they also say the checklist is supposed to go on top. Our attorney said put the checklist on top and leave the bar code page where it is. Hopefully if that is the wrong order that is not something that could get us bounced.

Fortunately, the visa office where we are applying (Hong Kong) has only 8 months waiting time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
future_canadian said:
That's why our attorney said too. I am just freaked out that if our application is somehow not complete we won't hear for 2-4 months and it will be returned to us and the cap will be reached. We triple checked everything but I am paranoid. How can they make you wait that long even for an acknowledgement?? It's like torture! :D
Once CIC re-opened FSW on May 1st, they received a flood of applications (hundreds per day). It's simply impossible for them to open and review all of the applications they receive each day. Instead, applications are opened and reviewed on a first come first serve basis. It takes some time to complete the review and ensure the file is complete. This is why it takes a while to hear back from them. The process is the same each year.

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Once CIC re-opened FSW on May 1st, they received a flood of applications (hundreds per day). It's simply impossible for them to open and review all of the applications they receive each day. Instead, applications are opened and reviewed on a first come first serve basis. It takes some time to complete the review and ensure the file is complete. This is why it takes a while to hear back from them. The process is the same each year.
FedEx showed our application was delivered Wednesday May 7. It is in NOC 1112, which was eligible last year and which reached the 300 cap sometime in about September as I recall. Is it really possible that 1000 could have been received in that NOC within the first week, or 25000 total within the first week? Considering no caps of 300 were reached in the first week last year and there was no guidance on the FSW program until just before May 1 I have a hard time believing that. If getting our application in the first week wasn't soon enough it will really be devastating.

They're posting tallies of applications received against the cap, but it hasn't been updated since the caps reopened. And apparently I'm not allowed to post the link.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
future_canadian said:
FedEx showed our application was delivered Wednesday May 7. It is in NOC 1112, which was eligible last year and which reached the 300 cap sometime in about September as I recall. Is it really possible that 1000 could have been received in that NOC within the first week, or 25000 total within the first week? Considering no caps of 300 were reached in the first week last year and there was no guidance on the FSW program until just before May 1 I have a hard time believing that. If getting our application in the first week wasn't soon enough it will really be devastating.

They're posting tallies of applications received against the cap, but it hasn't been updated since the caps reopened. And apparently I'm not allowed to post the link.
Anything is possible. Having said that I doubt the cap of 25k will be reached (some NOC's will only get a handful of applications); so the only cap that you really have to worry about is the 1k for your NOC. And some of them are reached pretty fast but 1k in a week would be record-breaking

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
txboyscout said:
Anything is possible. Having said that I doubt the cap of 25k will be reached (some NOC's will only get a handful of applications); so the only cap that you really have to worry about is the 1k for your NOC. And some of them are reached pretty fast but 1k in a week would be record-breaking
Thanks... it's very stressful waiting as long as we will have to wait for any kind of reply at all!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
future_canadian said:
FYI - In previous years that tally lagged by approximately 6 - 8 weeks.

darthsidious

May 12, 2014
I was just asking a lawyer, he said that federal skilled worker application should take between 6 months - 1 year. But http www . cic . gc . ca/english/inFORMation/times/perm/skilled-fed.asp indicates that the processing takes far longer. In my place it's even more than 2 years.

Did the lawyer speak the truth?

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
darthsidious said:
I was just asking a lawyer, he said that federal skilled worker application should take between 6 months - 1 year. But http www . cic . gc . ca/english/inFORMation/times/perm/skilled-fed.asp indicates that the processing takes far longer. In my place it's even more than 2 years.

Did the lawyer speak the truth?
It seems that it depends on the visa office.

Nice user name. :)

iamnav

May 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with package
I already have work permit for one of the NOC listed and for the same NOC code i am planning to apply for Immigration.Having work permit already (not been to Canada yet) benefit immigration process in any ways ?

sukhwinder kaur $

Star Member
Oct 27, 2014
i have applied for NOC 1111 on last week of june but not get any respond yet.can anyone tell me how much time it will take???
Thanks in advance