+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long can you stay before moving to Canada after receiving the permanent residency.

babilon

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
I bought a mail box in Saskatoon from the UPS store three weeks back. It cost be around 80 Canadian dollars(18 for set up and rest for three months mailbox rental). The cost can vary depending upon which city you would be buying the mailbox.
The one drawback of having the mailbox is one is required to reach out to them to find out if there is any mail or not. Could be done via phone/mail. ( Could be different for other stores. The one I went to wanted me to call/mail them)
They do forward the mails which you get, however, one needs to pay for the courier cost.
@rockytg Do you know if we can rent a mailbox online? In other words, do we have to be in Canada physically to do so? If you bought the mailbox when you went there, what did you say to the officials at the enterance when they asked your address?

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
22-Apr-2016, Additional Doc Request 13-July-2016
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
22 August, further tests 18 Sep, 11 Oct Meds passed
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
@rockytg Do you know if we can rent a mailbox online? In other words, do we have to be in Canada physically to do so? If you bought the mailbox when you went there, what did you say to the officials at the enterance when they asked your address?
I was also looking for an online option but could not find one.
At POE told IO that am new to Canada and do not know any one here. No more questions asked. I was given a form and was told to fax it to CIC once I have an address in Canada.

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
Sorry, one more question: So, can we say that we are PRs the next day we land?
Once the immigration officer hands you back the COPR stamped and signed and allows you to enter Canada , you are a PR.

Reactions: babilon

babilon

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
I was also looking for an online option but could not find one.
At POE told IO that am new to Canada and do not know any one here. No more questions asked. I was given a form and was told to fax it to CIC once I have an address in Canada.
Thanks a lot rockytg! Did you update your address while you were still in Canada? Also, would you mind if you share your soft landing experience? How did you get your SIN number? Does it take too long to get one? We are planning to drive up to Detroit/windsor border by the end of August.

farazafzal

Aug 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks farazafzal! I asked it because I wanted to make sure that I can say that I am a PR during my job hunt.
I thought you wanted to tweet or update the FB status (Guys finally CDN PR) and let the world know about it. Moreover you wanted to make sure that you don't update status a day before :)

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
Thanks a lot rockytg! Did you update your address while you were still in Canada? Also, would you mind if you share your soft landing experience? How did you get your SIN number? Does it take too long to get one? We are planning to drive up to Detroit/windsor border by the end of August.
I updated my address after I returned to my home country, nearly a month after I became a PR. The online option link for updating address provided in the form did not work for me as my details were not available online. I was then redirected to the CSE link for new PR card wherein I submitted the request for updating of address. It is nearly 2 weeks and I have not heard from them. Could be my address has been updated, I need to follow up on that.
Meanwhile I had applied for PR travel document. As I now have PRTD, I am not much concerned with the time it takes to get the PR card. I am planning to travel end of October hence, I am not in much hurry to get the card. Just being lazy :)

SIN: For few this activity is completed at POE. Rest need to go to Service Canada centre. 5 minute activity it is. Give your self two hours as there can be a queue.

POE formalities: I had reached on Saturday early morning and hence, there were not many people for immigration. I was second in queue and all POE formalities were completed in 15 minutes including waiting time. From my side I had taken the following documents
- proof of funds
- connecting flight ticket, hotel reservation. As I am SINP nominated and my POE was Calgary, I wanted to have evidence that I would be going to Saskatchewan.
- PR application form filled, two copies
- two copies of list of goods I was carrying
- two photographs

I was asked the standard questions on criminality , deportation etc. After that I was asked for a Canadian address, told the IO that I am new to Canada and do not know anyone here. No more questions on it, I was handed a form and told to fill and send it to CIC the day I get an address in Canada.
After that I was told to sign on COPR which was then stamped and signed by the IO. I was handed over one copy of the COPR and that was it.
The only two documents which the IO looked into were the passport and COPR. The ones which I have listed above were not asked for, not even the PR application form.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you plan on applying fot SIN card, etc during your soft landing many offices are not open on the weekends. Definitely look into this before making plans.

babilon

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
I updated my address after I returned to my home country, nearly a month after I became a PR. The online option link for updating address provided in the form did not work for me as my details were not available online. I was then redirected to the CSE link for new PR card wherein I submitted the request for updating of address. It is nearly 2 weeks and I have not heard from them. Could be my address has been updated, I need to follow up on that.
Meanwhile I had applied for PR travel document. As I now have PRTD, I am not much concerned with the time it takes to get the PR card. I am planning to travel end of October hence, I am not in much hurry to get the card. Just being lazy :)

SIN: For few this activity is completed at POE. Rest need to go to Service Canada centre. 5 minute activity it is. Give your self two hours as there can be a queue.

POE formalities: I had reached on Saturday early morning and hence, there were not many people for immigration. I was second in queue and all POE formalities were completed in 15 minutes including waiting time. From my side I had taken the following documents
- proof of funds
- connecting flight ticket, hotel reservation. As I am SINP nominated and my POE was Calgary, I wanted to have evidence that I would be going to Saskatchewan.
- PR application form filled, two copies
- two copies of list of goods I was carrying
- two photographs

I was asked the standard questions on criminality , deportation etc. After that I was asked for a Canadian address, told the IO that I am new to Canada and do not know anyone here. No more questions on it, I was handed a form and told to fill and send it to CIC the day I get an address in Canada.
After that I was told to sign on COPR which was then stamped and signed by the IO. I was handed over one copy of the COPR and that was it.
The only two documents which the IO looked into were the passport and COPR. The ones which I have listed above were not asked for, not even the PR application form.
Thanks a lot, rockytg! This helps a lot. One more thing: Where do you apply for PRTD? I thought it is a piece of paper IO gives you when you leave the country.

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017

babilon

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
Thank you for the link. It looks like PRTD is for those who will travel by air, train or bus. Since we live in the US, we are planning to drive our personal car when we decide to move permanently. (We'll rent a car for our soft landing just to avoid the export/import headaches). Do you know if CIC requires another type of travel document for such cases (travelling by personal/rental car)?

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
Thank you for the link. It looks like PRTD is for those who will travel by air, train or bus. Since we live in the US, we are planning to drive our personal car when we decide to move permanently. (We'll rent a car for our soft landing just to avoid the export/import headaches). Do you know if CIC requires another type of travel document for such cases (travelling by personal/rental car)?
Stamped COPR should suffice. Would like some one to confirm though.