+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long can I wait till I move to Canada permanently?

venki_09

Jan 8, 2020
Hello All,
I am living and working in the USA and I got my Canadian PR card in June 2019. I still haven't moved to Canada permanently. I am planning to move the end of this year which means, I would have lived outside Canada for around 1.5 years.

I know that I can maintain my status if I stay in Canada for 730 days in a 5 year period but I was wondering if I'd face any problems in immigration if I delay it by that long.

Thanks a lot in advance

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello All,
I am living and working in the USA and I got my Canadian PR card in June 2019. I still haven't moved to Canada permanently. I am planning to move the end of this year which means, I would have lived outside Canada for around 1.5 years.

I know that I can maintain my status if I stay in Canada for 730 days in a 5 year period but I was wondering if I'd face any problems in immigration if I delay it by that long.

Thanks a lot in advance
No, you won't have problems returning after 1.5 years.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
You can wait maximum 3 years after initial landing date. But that is stretching it a lot. If you do say 2 years 10 months max, you will be fine.

sabloom13

Feb 5, 2020
just to be 100% sure that i understand, i am a canadian citizen and my husband is on work visa status in US - if he gets PR and I live with him in US while he works there, he can still accumulate his Canadian days that way? thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
just to be 100% sure that i understand, i am a canadian citizen and my husband is on work visa status in US - if he gets PR and I live with him in US while he works there, he can still accumulate his Canadian days that way? thanks!
You need to prove that you are returning to live in Canada as soon as the app is approved.

If you don't actually move to Canada afyer he gets PR and given that you live on the US based on his status and job, there is the possibility that IRCC would determine that you are accompanying him and not the other way around. That would give them a basis to refuse to count his days outside Canada with you. It has happened before.