+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long can I stay in Canada?

Xylnaeri

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wanna go visit my boyfriend again this summer, and I want to stay for 6 months, or around that. But I'm worried they wont let me in? What would be a reason for them not to let me stay for that long? how can I make sure I can stay for that amount of time?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's no way to guarantee that you will be allowed in for six months. If and how long you are allowed into Canada for is up to the CBSA officer who you speak to at the border. To have the highest chance of being allowed for six months, you want to ensure you look like a genuine visitor and not someone who is moving to Canada. What this means is packing like a visitor (i.e. pack light) and only bring things a visitor would bring. Make sure you have a return ticket and also proof that you have ties to your home country (e.g. proof of property ownership/rental, utility bills, proof of employment, etc.). You'll also want to be able to demonstrate that you have enough funds to pay for your stay in Canada.

Xylnaeri

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
There's no way to guarantee that you will be allowed in for six months. If and how long you are allowed into Canada for is up to the CBSA officer who you speak to at the border. To have the highest chance of being allowed for six months, you want to ensure you look like a genuine visitor and not someone who is moving to Canada. What this means is packing like a visitor (i.e. pack light) and only bring things a visitor would bring. Make sure you have a return ticket and also proof that you have ties to your home country (e.g. proof of property ownership/rental, utility bills, proof of employment, etc.). You'll also want to be able to demonstrate that you have enough funds to pay for your stay in Canada.
Well, I'm only gonna bring clothes and stuff that I usually bring when I go to visit. I have been there twice and went home both times, would that be a good proof?
I dont have any property, and i dont have a job, so how would that work? the only thing I'd have at home is my family and that I want to start university when I go back..
I would buy a return ticket, definitely, but I live with my mother and I don't work, so I'm afraid they will tell me to go back home, I would prove that I have my bank account in Denmark, and I read somewhere that having a travel insurance is good too.
They let me through the other times, one stay was 2 months, the other was 3 weeks, with absolutely no problems. They did ask a lot of questions when I visited for two months, but I just want to know what I can do.

If they refuse to let me in, because they think I won't return home, what can I do then?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Xylnaeri said:
Well, I'm only gonna bring clothes and stuff that I usually bring when I go to visit. I have been there twice and went home both times, would that be a good proof?
I dont have any property, and i dont have a job, so how would that work? the only thing I'd have at home is my family and that I want to start university when I go back..
I would buy a return ticket, definitely, but I live with my mother and I don't work, so I'm afraid they will tell me to go back home, I would prove that I have my bank account in Denmark, and I read somewhere that having a travel insurance is good too.
They let me through the other times, one stay was 2 months, the other was 3 weeks, with absolutely no problems. They did ask a lot of questions when I visited for two months, but I just want to know what I can do.

If they refuse to let me in, because they think I won't return home, what can I do then?
Everything is really up to the CBSA officer. Since you are from a visa exempt country - that should make things easier. But it's never a guarantee. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like you really have any ties to your home country - not sure what you can really do about that.

The chances of being refused entry are very low. If you are refused entry, you will be put on the first flight home. There's nothing you'll be able to do about it - you'll have to depart Canada.

Xylnaeri

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Everything is really up to the CBSA officer. Since you are from a visa exempt country - that should make things easier. But it's never a guarantee. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like you really have any ties to your home country - not sure what you can really do about that.

The chances of being refused entry are very low. If you are refused entry, you will be put on the first flight home. There's nothing you'll be able to do about it - you'll have to depart Canada.
I was told that

1. Buy a return ticket.
2. Have evidence ready like your own bank statement showing you have money in an account which shows you are not destitute i.e. have no money.
3. Apply for the eTA.
4. Fly to Canada. Tip don't show up with 18 x suitcases.
5. On the declaration card put length of stay as 180 days.

Would be enough, since they already let me in twice before